Honored Contributor

Re: What decision would you make?

I think in the long run, option two would be your best bet. Good luck with whatever you decide though!

Honored Contributor

I say relocate to a new area while you're able.  You'll make new friends and get established in a new area.  If you don't seize this opportunity, you'll always look back and wonder why.  Go for it! 

Honored Contributor

You might check out the City Data Forums to see if your possible new town has an active discussion, @Laura14.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @tansy ! I'll look it up.

Honored Contributor

I've done both.  When I was in my 20s and early 30s, I moved far away and started a new career.  I had a blast in a huge city, widened my cultural awareness, saw a lot of shows/concerts, made lifelong friends.  Now I prefer to stay near family.  Only 1 of my kids is still in the area.  The others are all over so I get to travel to see them.  I also don't want to miss out on my 88 year old Dad's last years.  I want to help my disabled sister.  We lost Mom two years ago and it made me realize how important family is.

Esteemed Contributor

When you close your eyes and dream -- where does your heart want to be?

When you open your eyes and focus -- where does your head tell you to be?

When your heart and head align -- you'll find your answer. The hard part is when heart and head aren't aligning. Then you must reason about your best living conditions - what can you afford. Bottom line. Kudos to you for reaching out for other perspectives. Happiness and success to you. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@tansy 

i love your sign off signature.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 

i made my choice early on (in my 20's)

I was the most determined and independent of women.

And while that sounds good and perhaps impressive, it was lonely as some posts here indicate.

Even in the midst of loneliness, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

The strength gained in my single girl life has satisfied me and carried me through many situations.

I was born to roam! 
Always thought I "did better" than those who remained close to home. But then, that is what I assumed, not based on what I actually witnessed. Those friends of mine who stayed close to home all did just fine and blossomed under the love that develops in family and friends...those long term relationships.

Just know that NOTHING could have caused me to stay in my primary family home situation. This is how I knew it was right for me.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1  I did the same in my 20s and it was the happiest I think I've ever been, brief as it was.  I can't thank you all enough for the advice and perspectives.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 

Ok ...so that is "been there, done that."

Now, you are thinking differently at this stage of your life?

I am sending thoughts your way for a decision that makes you comfortable and happy no matter what life may hold for you in the future. (Hugs)❤️