Respected Contributor

Re: What decision would you make?

I think you should follow your dreams to option #2. 

Honored Contributor

From the info you gave, move.  It is a lot easier to do so when you're younger than wait until someone dies or moves.  If you can't afford to stay where you are after your family is gone, move now and make a life for yourself.  Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

Thank you all so much for the insight and advice!   I really appreciate it.

@PorcelainI have a healthy savings account but with the loss of this job it's kind of got to last now for the rest of my life.  I do have a 401K and my mother swears she won't spend our entire inheritance (LOL) but I never want to count on that.   That's her money to enjoy as long as she can and I hope she does for years to come. 

It will definitely be an adjustment if I go.  I haven't been on my own in almost 20 years.  I tried to go out on my own a year ago locally and got a sticker shock like I could not believe with all the new bills and apartment gimmicks and add ons these days. 

And if there ever is a true emergency, there's no one right there for me which I never needed but has come up after a few idiots ran my car over in the past several years.    

Valued Contributor

You have gotten a lot of very good advice.  From your responses -- it doesn't sound like you are happy where you are now and don't know how long you will be able to remain there anyway.  If it were me -- I would bite the bullet and move now.  It sounds like a move will eventually be inevitable and since you will be starting a new career -- now seems like a good time to go.

Esteemed Contributor

I have sort of followed your journey and my impression is that you have chosen to sit house for your mother to save money.  Only your nieces? seem to give you joy out of your family.  Inertia can be very strong.

It is wonderful you have taken further education and IMO it was a shame you did not break free then.

Tell me to mind my own business anytime 🤣

Follow your heart.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining   I appreciate the tough love!  And I can not say you're wrong. Heart

After listening to all of you, I do know I want to move.  I'm just trying not to upset my whole life on an impractical whim which it sounds like most of you don't see it that way which makes me feel lots better.

It's just very scary when it finally happens to make that choice.  I think I would regret it if I didn't at least try and have my own life at some point and it's been on my mind for years to go, see, and do.   

I guess if I hated it I could always come back, maybe, and figure it all out again at some point but I really don't want to do that nor do I expect that option to be kept open for me.       

Honored Contributor

If it where me I would make the move as soon as your present job ends.  Better to re-start now and make new friends and neighbors, than wait until you are older and the move will be much more stressful.  

Also making minimum wages is the pitts.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 Bless your heart.  A move is never easy.

I would suggest that since you want to move (which from your description does look like the better choice) do it.  

You can always help your mother move to where you are when the time presents itself so you can care for her.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   Actually she would never do that. 

I think if or when it gets to that point, I do have two sisters who at this point do not work and would be closest to her. 

This is a horrible thing to say but that's a plus in the go column.  I've taken care of her and them my whole life to great personal sacrifice.    It's time for someone else to take the brunt of the heavy work.

Not that I would not help in any way I could, but leaving means I don't get 'trapped' yet again into a situation where Laura solves everyone's problems for them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would go with door #3 which would be to improve your earning potential if that's at all possible.  

Otherwise, from reading previous posts by you, I'd go with door #2.  Take a chance to grow.