Valued Contributor

Re: What cause are you most passionate about?

I have read all the posts and am struck by the variety of responses.  I am gratified by 15 hearts received too!!

I was hoping to see the ways we exercise our "passion".  Some posters have expressed a "passion" for a cause but appear to just fret about it instead of finding a way to help.

I am a cat lover and put 4 hours a month into socializing HS kitties, but there are volunteers who are there daily. 

That bespeaks passion to me! 

I chose to put my volunteer efforts 90% into Planned Parenthood with a wide variety of projects from event planning, Board of Directors, to patient hand-holding. 

I care about many causes but can only give lip-service to most.

I'd be interested to hear some of the ways we help.  Perhaps it would spark those who don't know how to participate in things they care about.

I admit to some confusion about concern for the elderly and what was suggested.  I'm definitely a senior citizen,as are many friends. We volunteer, travel, shop, party, and go to the gym.  Homes are paid for and most enjoy fairly comfortable financial lives.  Someday we may need nursing care and we do what we can to prepare for the future.  That is an obligation we have for those who come after us.  Many seniors are unsung heroes who drive food cars, visit nursing homes, and teach classes to less fortunate seniors.  I'm unsure what the poster's vision of old age is, or what she can do to help.

As far as wishing to legally fly a flag or say "Merry Christmas", I'd suggest a visit to your local state Senator.  I am pretty sure they will reassure you.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am most passionate about Education. Even though I work full time I am a dedicated volunteer at my sons schools, and I always have been.

Without education children may not realize the rights they actually have/not have and thus the knowledge to know to fight for them.

Without education children may not know WHY racism/sexism/ageism/all ism's are bad. If they don't know, they may just perpetuate the same misunderstanding/hate for years.

Without education I fear the future for children will be lost.

I have seen/feel so much heartache when I watch programs like Escaping Polygamy where when the kids leave they find out all they have been told and taught is not correct. Or that at 18 they can’t read. If you can’t read how the heck are you going to find a job and better yourself!

There are SO many other reasons why education is so important to me but I would be writing for days and no one would bother to read it all.

And education does not STOP. It doesn’t have to be formal in a school to be learned and that is a GREAT passion of mine.

I often volunteer to teach nursing home folks how to use computers so they can stay in contact with old friends and family (Some even have wanted to learn other things like video games and Wii so they can at least talk to their grandkids without sounding "unhip" as one recently told me). This is an area that has bypassed many older folks. And in turn I learn SO much from them. I truly feel that NOTHING can drive home a point like hearing it from someone who experienced it first-hand. From someone who is a great story teller. I’ve heard stories from the Great Depression from folks who lived through it and truly remember it, and there are now things that I will never forget from it, things that you just don’t learn in a school book.

Without an education, many of those stories (from future generations) will not be able to be told because the art of telling a story, with feeling and the vividness of wording to bring it to life, will not be a part of someone’s lexicon. And that makes me sad.

All this and so much more is why I am passionate about education for all.

Frequent Contributor

Animal welfare, ending hunger, anti-bullying, music and arts educational programs.