Honored Contributor

Re: What cause are you most passionate about?

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

Your causes are all worthwhile and I do support all or most of them.  I'm just kind of taken aback that so few are passionate about the rights and concerns of the elderly in this country.

Especially since many of you are either already in this group, have family members in this group, or will be there soon, yourselves.  

Maybe I'm just not getting what you mean specifically (haven't read every post), but I don't feel I'm lacking any rights. None have been taken away from me since I turned 65 that come to mind.

If you mean advocacy, for those who don't have family, are senile, in nursing homes, need legal help and the like, yes, those things are necessary and I support them. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

Your causes are all worthwhile and I do support all or most of them.  I'm just kind of taken aback that so few are passionate about the rights and concerns of the elderly in this country.

Especially since many of you are either already in this group, have family members in this group, or will be there soon, yourselves.  

Maybe I'm just not getting what you mean specifically (haven't read every post), but I don't feel I'm lacking any rights. None have been taken away from me since I turned 65 that come to mind.

If you mean advocacy, for those who don't have family, are senile, in nursing homes, need legal help and the like, yes, those things are necessary and I support them. 

I agree, Moonchilde.

The elderly seem to have pretty stable standing on our society these days. 

I am 61 and I find no rights have been denied me.  I anticipate an even better life going forward.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Attacks on the elderly can be considered a hate crime.  I like that, special circumstances.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

Yes, I do mean advocacy, as well as increasing the funding for conditions that affect the elderly like Alzheimers Disease and dementia in general.

Other diseases that affect the older population like cancer and heart disease, have seen great progress made.  Diseases that affect the mind...still a lot to learn.  

Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

I agree, Moonchilde.

The elderly seem to have pretty stable standing on our society these days. 

I am 61 and I find no rights have been denied me.  I anticipate an even better life going forward.

At 61..you're way too young to be in the group I'm concerned about.  

I'm too young, but hope things have changed by the time I'm in my later years.  And more of us are going to be living into our later years.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

Yes, I do mean advocacy, as well as increasing the funding for conditions that affect the elderly like Alzheimers Disease and dementia in general.

Other diseases that affect the older population like cancer and heart disease, have seen great progress made.  Diseases that affect the mind...still a lot to learn.  

I strongly believe in nursing home advocacy, prevention of elder abuse in the home, and the like.

I don't think of Alzheimers as a disease only of the elderly, as it often starts decades earlier. My stepfather manifested in his 40s.

No doubt that more could be done (could always be done), but I think Alzheimers and dementia research is already a pretty "hot topic" of medical researchers around the world and I think that will only increase.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

The truth.  There's so little of it around, and most people don't seem to care.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Human and Civil Rights advocacy as it relates to, minorities, elderly, children, mentally ill, disabilities, and sexuality.  Humans always come first.

@september, I guess you by passed my concerns.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

Freedom to fly our American Flag when and where we choose to in our country! 

Also, to be able to say "Merry Christmas" and display a nativity scene!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  There are some early onset cases of Alzheimers, but it's predominantly a disease of older people who have been "lucky" enough to keep their bodies healthy into their later years. And then their minds fail them.

The only advance has been to introduce some drugs that slow the disease and allow, at most, a few more years of independent living.