Honored Contributor

Re: What brick & mortar stores do you still enjoy...

Fun thread!

I love to go to Barnes and Noble- I love to browse books and magazines but also love their little gift things.

I also love to go to a local shop here that has alot of wild bird feeders, foods, nick nacky gifts, outdoor fountains, etc. Around the Holidays they have alot of great little gifts I like to get for neighbors, like Bird seed wreaths, etc..

Whole foods and New Seasons- alot of great little gifts, including alot of locally made items.

Sephora- I don't normally shop there anymore but do enjoy going in there during the Holidays and see all the gift sets, etc.

Cost Plus/World market- again alot of fun, unique gifts

Hallmark stores are fun too. I usually get alot of cute wrapping paper in there, like Snoopy/Peanuts themed.

Alot of other other smaller, local shops.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Target and The Container Store.  I don't shop as much as I used to but Target has been my go-to for a variety of things - - shower curtains, rugs, storage containers, cards, toiletries, etc.  

Honored Contributor

Hmmmmmm   That would be NONE of them.   I haven't "enjoyed" the brick&mortar shopping experience in 20 years.  At one one time I trudged through malls because that's all there was.  I can't say I enjoyed it.  It's even worse in recent years and online shopping is such a pleasure that shopping in a physical store is not gonna happen for me.  I do like to go to one of the big malls near me once or twice, just for the Christmas experience....and lunch.  And then I'm outta there. 

Regular Contributor

Christopher and Banks has the best sales, quality fabrics, and on-trend and office casual clothing.  On their website, I placed two orders with them this Fall ....was able to "stack" coupons and got unbelievable bargains~!

Honored Contributor

@Shop Till you Drop wrote:

I like many of the same stores mentioned.  But I found last Holiday season that our small downtown area really decorates in a fun nostalgic way.  The square has come back with some delightful stores and paint the glass window fronts with old timey christmas painting.  I found myself going to the square quite a few times and enjoying hot cocoa and just browsing and also found some great furniture in a small Mom and Pop shop, felt good supporting small business.

I forgot about that.  I do enjoy browsing around and shopping in our town's Village shopping area.  The merchant's association does such a good job decorating and because there is so little parking, we don't get many outsiders.  Honestly, I do not buy a lot because while things are nice or cute, they are also wicked expensive.  There's jewelry store that sells the loveliest whimsical earrings and every year, I buy a couple of pairs for gifts.  And there's a bakery that makes artisnal breads, during the holidays when I'm invited to someone's home, I like to pick up a loaf or two of bread for the host. 

Honored Contributor

Restoration Hardware, Container Store, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel. Occasionally IKEA.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer smaller shops to larger B&M stores, but as I get older, it seems to be a little more trouble to get to the choice little shops.  I usually get things from Belk, which is nearby and a favorite. We also have a Marshall's nearby and a Target for small things. I love consignment shops, and we have several. Once enjoyed Dillard's, but they recently moved to a more distant location, which is outside my normal fence.  I don't go to Kohl's anymore because the quality of their merchandise has gone even further down. Barnes and Noble for some special things.  And Hobby Lobby at certain times of year. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bri20 wrote:

Nordstrom, Von Maur, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Kohl's, Target - I love going to the mall during the holidays.  The windows are so pretty to look at, and I like the excitement of it all. 

I love going to Home Goods and the outlet mall too. 

I'm the same way.  Last year I did almost all my shopping on-line because I had no choice.  It never felt like x-mas to me.

This year, some of my family are doing our annual holiday shopping excursion to Columbus and I can hardly wait.  I love being out and about, seeing the decorations, hearing the x-mas music as I'm shopping, the crowds, etc.  Our first stop is going to be the Tanger outlets!

Honored Contributor

My favorite is Macys and Dillards. I love all the gift sets around Christmas. And of course, love seeing the handbags in person.

And while at the mall, I always stop in Bath and Body Works.

TJ Maxx and Marshalls are also fun to shop.

We live in a small town so I don't get to go to the mall very often so when I do, I love looking at everything.

Honored Contributor

In our little town we only have Bells, Bells outet and Walmart. To shop at the mall is a pretty long drive. If i go 45 min I get to a favorite place of mine called Fisherman's Villiage - It is an open air mall set next to a marina and is all small boutiques. I love shopping there as the goods are unique, plus you have the feel of being outside. If my DH goes with me he will usually just let me shop and I will find him outside sitting in the marina talking to some fisherman or boat owners. When we have out of town company we usually go there and have lunch & shop & walk around.Friends from Pa are always fascinated by the open air mall.