Respected Contributor

Re: What becomes of all that food?

I think this is such a strange thing to fret over. Have you ever seen how much food gets wasted over on Food Network?

Honored Contributor

You know the little heat lamp cases at the registers of 7-11, Wawa, QuickChek, with the breakfast sandwiches, hot stuffed pretzels - after a certain amount of hours what's left in there gets thrown out.

Honored Contributor

@newjerseygirlwrote:

@DashhMany years ago I went on the QVC All Access Tour.

Included in the tour was a stop in the QVC Kitchen. This is where the food is prepped for on air presentations. The person in charge said that everyone is curious about what happens to all the food after it is on air. He said it has been sitting out for hours under the lights and most of it is not edible. He also said that some of it is styled to be under the lights, coated so it looks good.

Very little of it is edible. Some of the crew/staff ask if any of it is still edible. If it is they can have it, but very little actually is.

@newjerseygirlInteresting! I went on the Q tour three times (with three different friends who wanted to go) and we never went into the kitchen. I never even thought to ask about the food but it does make sense what they told you. If any of it is edible I would think that the crew would eat it right away after the show if they want it.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50wrote:

One of the many reasons I have never/would never buy food from TV. What a waste if all that stuff is thrown out!!!

@kaydee50

Then you must not eat in restaurants because health laws require them to throw out food at the end of the day that is left over and that is a lot of food. I expect the same health laws govern QVC.

Honored Contributor

I once visited my food-stylist sister-in-law at her studio. There was an elaborately displayed ham under photography lights. I asked her about it, she said she "enhanced" it first then it sat for hours getting shot under those lights. She said food was never eaten, one photo takes hours to pull off.

Honored Contributor

I suppose the food that is in unopened bags or packages is given to the workers. The food that has been on display in hot studio lights for hours, man handled and slobbering over by the hosts is thrown out.

Honored Contributor

It is saved up for the Q company Christmas party.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012wrote:

LOL! There's some food that I think would be OK after the presentation, like the Germack snacks and some baked goods, like Jimmy the Baker and Junior's, Cheryl's. After all, we see the hosts and presenters eating it, and they have survived.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

@kaydee50wrote:

One of the many reasons I have never/would never buy food from TV. What a waste if all that stuff is thrown out!!!

@kaydee50

Then you must not eat in restaurants because health laws require them to throw out food at the end of the day that is left over and that is a lot of food. I expect the same health laws govern QVC.

@NonametodayI went to pastry school and part of my course work involved becoming serve safe certified which at least one food service employee working a shift in a kitchen must be certified in proper food handling. Health laws do not require food establishments to throw out all the food at the end of the day. If food is properly prepared and held during service properly, it can be saved for up to 7 days if properly stored.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012wrote:

LOL!!