Trusted Contributor

Re: What becomes of all that food?

[ Edited ]

@haddon9wrote:

@newjerseygirlwrote:

@DashhMany years ago I went on the QVC All Access Tour.

Included in the tour was a stop in the QVC Kitchen. This is where the food is prepped for on air presentations. The person in charge said that everyone is curious about what happens to all the food after it is on air. He said it has been sitting out for hours under the lights and most of it is not edible. He also said that some of it is styled to be under the lights, coated so it looks good.

Very little of it is edible. Some of the crew/staff ask if any of it is still edible. If it is they can have it, but very little actually is.

@newjerseygirlInteresting! I went on the Q tour three times (with three different friends who wanted to go) and we never went into the kitchen. I never even thought to ask about the food but it does make sense what they told you. If any of it is edible I would think that the crew would eat it right away after the show if they want it.

@haddon9The All Access Tour was different from the regular tour. I took the regular tour a few times also. The regular tour was interesting but shorter in time and not as involved as the All Access.

You had to make a reservation for the All Access and it was about 3 hours long. I don't remember the price but I think it could have been $50. It really was in depth. It included lunch in the QVC Cafeteria (not open to the public) where all the employees, hosts etc. ate. This is different than the QVC kitchen where the food is prepped for on air.

At the end of the tour each person got a goodie bag with QVC merchandise...some of the things I got were a Joan Rivers pin, a Lock 'n Lock container, a Temptations piece, a pair of socks, a water bottle and some other stuff I just don't remember.

IIRC at the end of the regualr tour which cost $7 I got a QVC measuring tape and a coupon to use in the QVC store.

All the tours and the QVC store at the studio are all gone now.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Trusted Contributor

@newjerseygirlwrote:

@DashhMany years ago I went on the QVC All Access Tour.

Included in the tour was a stop in the QVC Kitchen. This is where the food is prepped for on air presentations. The person in charge said that everyone is curious about what happens to all the food after it is on air. He said it has been sitting out for hours under the lights and most of it is not edible. He also said that some of it is styled to be under the lights, coated so it looks good.

Very little of it is edible. Some of the crew/staff ask if any of it is still edible. If it is they can have it, but very little actually is.

yesterday I watched pizza after pizza being made, cut and eaten for tsv oven. I do not think very little is edible. jmo

Honored Contributor

@ninjawifewrote:

@Nonametodaywrote:

@kaydee50wrote:

One of the many reasons I have never/would never buy food from TV. What a waste if all that stuff is thrown out!!!

@kaydee50

Then you must not eat in restaurants because health laws require them to throw out food at the end of the day that is left over and that is a lot of food. I expect the same health laws govern QVC.

@NonametodayI went to pastry school and part of my course work involved becoming serve safe certified which at least one food service employee working a shift in a kitchen must be certified in proper food handling. Health laws do not require food establishments to throw out all the food at the end of the day. If food is properly prepared and held during service properly, it can be saved for up to 7 days if properly stored.

@ninjawife

Having been in the family restaurant for more than 50 years, I can say that in my state that I live in now and the one I grew up in, they did and they still do.

Contributor

I also went on the tour at qvc. I was very surprised to see that some of the food was fake since it looks so real on tv.
Respected Contributor

Great thread!

I dont know if this is comparable, but I've visited Grocery Stores, before closing, & wanted to give their "unsold food" to the homeless, shelters, poor. And they refused, saying, "they wont be responsible for anything that happens to ppl that eat their food, and may get sick."

Wasn't just one Grocery Store that said this. And wasnt just only Grocery Stores. I "made the rounds," trying... They all said the same thing "Refuse to be responsible." I even tried to sign a waiver! NA DAH!

Interestingly enough, they allowed me to "buy this very same food,," at a a reduced price." So I asked if they are still responsible for THIS reduced $$ food, if given to the very same needy ppl, & they get sick? They answered, "No Problem." so HUH???

I kind of wondered, what's the difference? And what is "being responsible," that paying accomplishes, when free does not?

Honored Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

@kaydee50wrote:

One of the many reasons I have never/would never buy food from TV. What a waste if all that stuff is thrown out!!!

@kaydee50

Then you must not eat in restaurants because health laws require them to throw out food at the end of the day that is left over and that is a lot of food. I expect the same health laws govern QVC.

@Nonametoday@kaydee50

I know what they do on movie sets ..... sometimes, if a scene is shot and done rather quickly, the cast and crew will have access to it on the next break, IF the food people deem it safe. If the food has been sitting under hot lights and whatnot for many hours, it is considered "spoiled" and tossed. No director is going to risk half his/her entire crew getting food poisoning. Where is it tossed? I don't know, but I bet sometimes a raccoon or coyote ends up with a nice feast.

Respected Contributor

Oh HSN, Wolfgang Puck's food is scoffed up right away by the Crew.

And the host/s might fill a container, even right while on TV.

Wolfgang starts cooking anew, each of his segments. I dont know abt Curtis Stone or any other cooks there, tho

Honored Contributor

My mother had people who were down on their luck, sotospeak, who would come by the restaurant at closing time and eat food before it was thrown out. She knew what was going to be okay and what was not. At her funeral, a man stood up and said if it had not been for her he and his family would have starved to death when he was out of work and another lady stood up and said her mother had cancer and my mother kept them from starving in her mother's final days when she could not work and they had no source of income but a paltry disability check which barely paid their rent. So, if you know people in the community, while the food is still viable, you can invite them in to eat free but if it has sat out for a long time, then you can't but this was food that she was still serving at closing and she knew it was still good and if she had stayed open another couple hours, she would have sold it.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

My mother had people who were down on their luck, sotospeak, who would come by the restaurant at closing time and eat food before it was thrown out. She knew what was going to be okay and what was not. At her funeral, a man stood up and said if it had not been for her he and his family would have starved to death when he was out of work and another lady stood up and said her mother had cancer and my mother kept them from starving in her mother's final days when she could not work and they had no source of income but a paltry disability check which barely paid their rent. So, if you know people in the community, while the food is still viable, you can invite them in to eat free but if it has sat out for a long time, then you can't but this was food that she was still serving at closing and she knew it was still good and if she had stayed open another couple hours, she would have sold it.

~~~~~~~~~

@Nonametoday

WOW!!! What a powerful witness to kindness & generousity & thoughtfulness!

Thank you, Mom!

YOU personally, MADE THIS WORLD BETTER!!!

Super Contributor

I remember they use to donate it to the homeless shelters when they did the now you cooking days. Things may have changed since the pandemic and now i think it is the crew that may eat some of it.