Super Contributor

Re: What are your thoughts on owls?

Attica. Athens, c. 449-413 BC. Silver "old-style" tetradrachm. Head of Athena right, wearing crested helmet ornamented with olive leaves, palmette and spiral, hair drawn across forehead in parallel curves / Owl standing right, ?T?(NS), olive sprig and crescent moon behind.

Honored Contributor

The most beautiful bird I have ever seen used to visit the trees in our previous townhome. It was a Snowy Owl and could be seen on a regular basis for a long time from our windows.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

One of my nephews in CT for the past several years, during his high school years has volunteered at the nearby nature center to feed and tend the owls and other birds. He seems to really enjoy it.

I know "owls" are collected by many and popular . . . kinda like people who collect cardinal themed or hummingbird items. Not me.

Although I do have a plush Hedwig from Hallmark from way back with the original Harry Potter book/movie hanging from a ceiling hook in my daughters bedroom . . . he is the only owl item I can think of in my house except my Owl from Winnie-the-Pooh in ornament form with the other characters and on a perpetual calendar I've had for almost 20 years. But those don't make me an "owl" themed item collector. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I'll never forget seeing Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone when it came out in theaters. It was magical (no pun intended) to see a book series I loved so much come to life.

Valued Contributor

I like owls. There's something mysterious yet cute about them. And, aren't they the nerds of the forest? Wink So funny I just saw this thread too because earlier tonight I was at Big Lots and they had the cutest snow owl Christmas ornaments. They had a set of 3 for only $10. I really like the snow owls that Lisa R. has on her show, but these were a better price for my budget and they are adorable so I picked them up. I noticed the store had quite a few owl-themed Christmas items throughout too.

Respected Contributor

I'm not owl crazy, but I do like them sometimes.

I'm going to do my Christmas tree this year in the Pier One Woodland Theme, and they have a really great owl ornament that I'm getting...a white owl..quite big. He will look nice in the middle of the tree at the top.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I don't celebrate XMas as a religious holiday, but I do decorate. I like to do a woodland winter theme-trees, deer, snow, greenery and owls with lights and lots of flameless candles.. Pier One has some lovely woodland things that aren't over the top XMas.

Marienkaefer,

I saw that big owl at Pier One. I'm waiting for a coupon! They've outdone themselves with holiday things this year.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

We sometimes have an owl in our back yard that starts hooting somewhere around 2 or 3 AM. It gets me awake. We think it may be in our hawthorn tree which is near our bedroom. That darn owl.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Regular Contributor

On 10/25/2014 MomTo2Dogs said:

I like snowy owls

Beautiful.

Honored Contributor

I love owls. I sleep so well when I hear their chorus, outside my house at night. I have a few as part of my decor, but I don't care for jewelry or clothing that has this theme.