Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are your plans for Valentine's Day (Today)?

We did our Valentine's Day yesterday. We avoid all the crowds and crazies. Cards, dinner out, a toast, a gift, some chocolate. Not overdone but just a touch of the commercial.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

I debated whether or not to post this because I don't want it to come across as a bummer, but it's my truth, so I decided why not.

Today is bittersweet for us (me and my dad)... I was never a big fan of Valentine's Day anyway. I saw it as just another over-hyped marketing excuse to guilt people into spending money on flowers, candy, overpriced dinners, cards and balloons...and make those that don't have a special someone feel inadequate. Then my mom died 6 years ago today, and I liked the day even less. Of course it could have happened any day of the year and it would still hurt, but to have it happen on a day associated with hearts and flowers made it sting a little more. It always starts right after Christmas when they start putting all the decorations out in the stores. I walk through the aisles and it's hard not to think about, I think that is the part that bothers me most, the association and constant reminder. Don't get me wrong, it also makes me remember all the good times with my mom, and the love we had, but nobody wants to be reminded of how it all ends.

I will try to make the best of the day, give my dad lots of hugs, make him a nice dinner, will bake him a cake so he has something sweet. I know that as hard as today is for me, it is so much more difficult for him. Even with his fading memories, he is well aware that he no longer has the love of his life. He found it an appropriate day for her to go, since it was a day that represents love. It never gets easier, and I guess that is a good thing, since I would be concerned if the day came and went and didn't effect me.

So, remember to hug your someone(s) special, whether they have 2 feet or 4 paws, it doesn't have to be about cards and flowers, just be sure to let them know you love them while you can let them know. I hope everyone has a safe and happy Valentine's Day, whether it is a big fancy dinner, or just sitting on the couch holding hands watching a movie. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

Jules ~ {{HUGS}} to you and your dad......so sorry for your loss.

I am taking my 14 y.o. son to lunch as he has the day off of school. We are going to a restaurant that overlooks the ocean. It's supposed to be mid 70-'s today...

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

A little new snow last night...nothing compared to what the East Coast got, but I did the major shopping yesterday. Staying inside today cuddling with my four-legged furbabies and finishing a James Patterson book.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

On 2/14/2014 MickD said:

Jules ~ {{HUGS}} to you and your dad......so sorry for your loss.

I am taking my 14 y.o. son to lunch as he has the day off of school. We are going to a restaurant that overlooks the ocean. It's supposed to be mid 70-'s today...

Thanks MickD Smile Your day sounds lovely. While we won't be in the 70's here, the sun is at least shining, the snow is melting and we are supposed to get to 50, which is practically tropical compared to what we have been dealing with. I love the ocean, there is nothing better than finding that perfect little restaurant or cafe where you can overlook the water and sky. I hope you and your son enjoy a beautiful lunch together.

Honored Contributor

Oh, crud....my son just woke up sick with a fever and sore throat....looks like I'm taking care of my boy today....{#emotions_dlg.sad}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Jules,

I'm sorry this is such a difficult time for you and your father.

Best wishes for a loving day together...

N.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

Hi Jules, it's understandable that this is a bittersweet day for you and your dad. My parents have both been gone for several years and I still have a "mourning period" around their birthdays, their anniversary, and during the weeks that they both passed. I imagine I always will. Just enjoy the day as best you can with your dad since you won't have him forever either. From your previous posts, I know you take good and loving care of him. For DH's and my Valentine's Day, I'm making his favorite lasagne, garlic bread, and Caesar salad with gooey brownies for dessert (with heart shaped dog treats for the dog). Our anniversary is next week, so we tend to make that the more special celebration for us. Hope everyone has a sweet and special day in a way that makes them feel happy and loved!
Honored Contributor

It's our anniversary today {#emotions_dlg.wub} DH and I exchanged gifts and cards after breakfast this morning. For Valentine's Day we got our daughter an iPad with a red cover.

We were going out to a movie before dinner but I woke up with conjunctivitis in one eye. I KNEW I shouldn't have gone out with Bob Costas last night! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

DH is making the appetizers for tonight, I have champagne chilling, and our amateur chef will be making shrimp scampi over linguini with a Caesar salad for dinner.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, EVERYONE!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

Happy Anniversary, Noel! Hope the pink eye clears up soon and you can enjoy the day! Smiley Happy