Valued Contributor

Re: 📲💻What are your personal "Netiquette" rules?

[ Edited ]

Choose to avoid certain threads if you only have something negative to say.  (I know, I know - life isn't a bowl of cherries, but some people should try not to be a pit - all the time.)

(The choice of this font was intentional. I'm really not an angry person.)

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the great ideas

and opinions everybody!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

I believe just a little bit of common sense. Be courteous and be respectul and avoid confrontations. I use the bolder print so I can read it easily

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

Don't shout by using all caps or underlining for emphasis. 

Read the thread before you comment.

@bri20 - yes.  I see that quite often, "I haven't read any of the replies BUT...."  Really?

And I'll add it would be nice to dial back on the unending animated gifs. 

ITA with both of you that it is good form to read the thread before replying.  I feel like some folks just don't understand that a thread is a conversation - well, and in very few cases I think it's just a matter of a person thinking that the only thing that matters is what that person has to say (one comes to mind).  Smiley Wink

Hi. I am new to posting this spring, and I am not sure I understand what you mean. If I see a question and have something to contribute, I reply to that original question and certainly don't read everything everyone has written. Is that wrong? This is news to me. Oh, and what or who is ITA? Tx so much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@libbyannE wrote:

Hi. I am new to posting this spring, and I am not sure I understand what you mean. If I see a question and have something to contribute, I reply to that original question and certainly don't read everything everyone has written. Is that wrong? This is news to me. Oh, and what or who is ITA? Tx so much.

@libbyannE ITA is I totally agree. It is good form to read the entire thread because it's possible that the OP could have added additional information and/or someone else could have already replied the same thing that you are going to. In that case you could heart their message and/or quote them and add on. Think of a thread as what @chickenbutt

stated: "a conversation". I'm sure you've been in the middle of a discussion when someone walked up and started commenting on the little bit of the conversation they overheard. Most likely if they had been there for the entire thing, their comments would have been different. Hope that makes sense.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@libbyannE ITA is I totally agree. It is good form to read the entire thread because it's possible that the OP could have added additional information and/or someone else could have already replied the same thing that you are going to. In that case you could heart their message and/or quote them and add on. Think of a thread as @chickenbutt stated "a conversation:. I'm sure you've been in the middle of a discussion when someone walked up and started commenting on the little bit of the conversation they overheard. Most likely if they had been there for the entire thing, their comments would have been different. Hope that makes sense.

Tx. I see. I thought these were quick posts to ju,p in and out of.

Honored Contributor

The only bit of *etiquette* I use while posting here or texting (or even emailing) is I always type out OMGosh or Oh my gosh.

That's it.

Other than that, I have typos and my thoughts do get jumbled up sometimes.  Sorry.

Loose and lose improperly used does not bother.

When I see people type 'alot' I go crazy.  It is not a word.  Never was and hopefully never will be.

Super Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@libbyannE ITA is I totally agree. It is good form to read the entire thread because it's possible that the OP could have added additional information and/or someone else could have already replied the same thing that you are going to. In that case you could heart their message and/or quote them and add on. Think of a thread as what @chickenbutt

stated: "a conversation". I'm sure you've been in the middle of a discussion when someone walked up and started commenting on the little bit of the conversation they overheard. Most likely if they had been there for the entire thing, their comments would have been different. Hope that makes sense.

I agree with you @Tique and @chickenbutt re: making at least an attempt to scan responses before posting.

Super Contributor

@violann wrote:

@JDJ555 wrote:

Here's  a humorous list but has many truths. Smiley Happy 

"5 simple questions that can ask as a litmus test for your next online interaction (and hints of the answer you should be aiming for):

1.    Would you punch someone in the face (or at least want to) for saying to you in person what you’ve just typed? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

2.    Would you blush if you overheard someone else saying this in public? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

3.    Would you ridicule your children for saying this to you? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

4.    Would your mom and dad wash your mouth out with soap for what you’re about to type? If yes, hit send only if you’re trying to be a jerk.

5.    Does your statement take the conversation (on whatever topic it may be regarding) in a positive direction? This is a biggie!

I don’t want someone to ever feel that disagreement with my position is unacceptable. I LOVE a good debate. However, if all you’re trying to do is be a jerk, I have a pretty standard mental response: this person is a troll. Disengage. Just like I’m trying to teach our children, you can disagree without being disagreeable."

http://www.humoroushomemaking.com/internet-etiquette-101-minding-your-manners

Don't know how to set up "BEST ANSWER" but IMO NOTHING will beat this.

That said, most of us now and again fall into Simple Question 5. { know I do.

I agree @violann with you. Great list @JDJ555. Funny but food for thought.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Keep a sense of humor.  For all you know, you could be wasting the minutes of your life arguing with someone in a basement or tiny storage closet.  Smiley Tongue

And turn it off every once in a while!  The fresh air and actual human beings around you miss you!  Heart