Trusted Contributor

What are your favorite memories of the "Good Old Days"?

[ Edited ]

I went to country school. So much fun.  I remember party lines on the telephones If you wanted a private line cost so much more.  Operators would ask what number you were calling and connect you. You could talk to a real person when you called a company,

The old Atlantic City. Steel Pier with all the big name bands and the stars perform. Mammy's donuts on the boardwalk. 

A kinder time of life. Manners. True family people.  Many women in the days stayed at home to raise their children. Kids could play outside for hours. Gathering every night for dinner and on Sunday's mom always made a special dinner. Feeling safe no matter where you were. 

Ahh! The good old day's!!

Honored Contributor

Re: What are your favorite memories of the "Good Old Days"?

Drivers who were not operating cellphones.  A balanced federal budget.  Wars that ended.  I fit into size seven clothing. 

Respected Contributor

Mostly that they are where they belong...Back in time.

While childhood memories are often sweet, there was a lot of decidedly un-sweet things about the "good old days".

Racial discrimination was a way of life

Women stayed at home because that was where they were told to stay

Child and spousal abuse was not prosecuted

The victims of rape suffered humiliation in trial because THEIR lives were put on trial

I don't pine for days gone by. I look to the future and enjoy each day moving forward. 

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Mine weren't all that good..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Today I would say my darling grandparents, and being a young "single" teenager.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

I have good memories of life without cellphones but I rarely look back.  The 50s weren't as great as many remember.

Esteemed Contributor

Hands down....Palisades Amusement Park....swimming in the  "worlds largest outdoor saltwater swimming pool" with waves and sand....couldn't wait until spring when it opened and heard the famous jingle on the radio....riding the wooden roller coaster, The Fun House with the air holes, the fries with vinegar and the live Murray The K shows  as you sang atop the Ferris Wheel.  We would get coupons from the old match covers which admitted you for a low price with rides..... I was there twice a week, a 2 bus trip to get there..I was heartbroken when it closed and I felt so sad and that my world had changed forever.  Even when Great Adventure opened, it was bigger, better in every way but not for me...Palisades Park had so many memories for me and many from my part of the world.  Even the story of the owner was special; they say he left a hole in the fence in the back for kids who couldn't pay....he wasn't about money and he loved kids...his park was clean and safe...

Valued Contributor

While I wouldn't want to go backwards, I do tire of people being hooked to their cell phones.

Even while at the gym, some are trying to text while working out.  I've even had some amost walk into me while I'm out and about as they are walking and not watching where they walk.  Seems like everyone has to be on them all the time these days.

Super Contributor

vickiv

Living on the ranch, taking care of all our farm animals.

We started a horse club "Romona Rough Riders" we would go on over night trail rides and when we would get to camp, we would have a BBQ and then trailer our horse back home.

Riding my horses in horse shows.

Watching a foal get up her wobbly legs.

We also showed our Brittney Spaniels in dog shows.

Being a member of 4-H.

Dancing in ballet shows at the "Del Mar" fair.

Snipe hunting with my dad!

Always having some family member staying with us, Grandma, Cousins, Aunts etc.

Fishing with Grandpa, when we would visit him in Bishop CA.

Hanging out at the race track with my dad, he was a trainer and we had a couple of race horses.
The country life, when we left our front door unlocked and the keys in the truck!

I could go on...

Honored Contributor

I'm not going to apologize for saying I had a fantastic childhood (when so many were suffering). 

There were good old days, even for those down and out.

Can we not enjoy a peice of cantalope at this very moment because tens of thousands are dying of hunger at the same time? 

No.

I remember the old Atlantic City, Capt Starn's, Mr. Peanut, and the woman who jumped her horse off Steel Pier, the Marlboro Blendheim, the three story walkups w/no air conditioning you rented for the week (we stayed at 'Phylis' Place'). 

I remember passing Zaberer's restaurant and Cowtown Rodeo on the way there.  We drove listening to a crackling AM radio and singing 'In the Summertime' by Mungo Jerry. 

Good times!