Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are your New Year's Traditions?

For decades we've gone to our neighbor's house for a simple celebration, about 12 - 20 people, depending on the year. It's close enough to walk. Celebration begins at 9pm, so husband and I and another couple go to dinner at our quaint, decorated downtown district before celebrating with neighbors. It's a tradition we enjoy.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

ury- It gives me peace to turn them over to the one in charge. I am not one to do the resolutions on New Year's Eve.

I am surprised no one has mentioned pot banging. We also do not do laundry or take out the trash on New Year's Day.

You are supposed to eat some circular food so maybe some donuts are in order.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Doxie said:

ury- It gives me peace to turn them over to the one in charge. I am not one to do the resolutions on New Year's Eve.

I am surprised no one has mentioned pot banging. We also do not do laundry or take out the trash on New Year's Day.

You are supposed to eat some circular food so maybe some donuts are in order.

doxie

Yes!! My mother would not take out garbage on New Years either! She said anything you do on New Years you will be doing all year long!

Esteemed Contributor

Doxie, if I need to do pot-banging please tell me! I cannot believe that my mother's family has never mentioned this one to me. There were certainly many times growing up that my mother made me want to bang MY HEAD against the wall! Does pot banging ward off evil spirits???

Respected Contributor

Pot banging is a form of a midnight cacophony. It is using noise to keep evil out of the New Year. Churches toll their bells, people make noise by using fireworks, beating pots, blowing horns, beating drums, or anything that makes noise. You have one door open prior to midnight and open a second door at midnight when the noise making starts. You have to really think about it to get the timing right since you have to eat the grapes by the end of the 12 tones of the clock.

It is funny that I read that was one of the reasons for the church using bells at weddings also.

If you only have one door then you are supposed to open a window prior to midnight and the door at midnight..

If your plans go well you are opening the door at midnight to the first footer while choking down 12 grapes, making noise, and receiving the gifts of the first footer.

doxie

Respected Contributor

For a very long time now, I have always made a list of the year's top 10 events--that affected me.

Super Contributor

I always spend New Years cleaning or purging some area of the house. Pea soup used to be the special, simple fare, but now I usually have started a juice fast. - Bird

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Doxie said:

Pot banging is a form of a midnight cacophony. It is using noise to keep evil out of the New Year. Churches toll their bells, people make noise by using fireworks, beating pots, blowing horns, beating drums, or anything that makes noise. You have one door open prior to midnight and open a second door at midnight when the noise making starts. You have to really think about it to get the timing right since you have to eat the grapes by the end of the 12 tones of the clock.

It is funny that I read that was one of the reasons for the church using bells at weddings also.

If you only have one door then you are supposed to open a window prior to midnight and the door at midnight..

If your plans go well you are opening the door at midnight to the first footer while choking down 12 grapes, making noise, and receiving the gifts of the first footer.

doxie

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

Being a southern girl, I have to have my blackeyed peas and pork, I don't eat turnips and/or collards, for my green it is cabbage in the form of cole slaw!

Don't wash on New Year's day, they say it washes someone out of your life!

Respected Contributor

hooty- you should be covered.

I forgot about chow chow. That would also be greens.

doxie