Honored Contributor

Re: What are you doing this pre Thanksgiving morning?

I'm at work and it's deader than dead.  I've gotten nowhere with the work I've needed to get done.  I've called about 5 doctor's offices and they have all been closed today for the holiday. 

The weather is gorgeous so I wish I could be at home getting my outside decorated.  Oh well.  It's supposed to be nice until Friday night.

I have to bake a pie tonight for dinner tomorrow. 

Honored Contributor

NoelSeven wrote:

@chickenbutt

Of course, brining!  I should have thought of that.

DD and I did the bird a new way last year and it was wonderful.  I've always stuffed the bird and basted.  She likes to research everything and discovered that roasting without basting gives a much better flavor and skin, so we tried that and it was FANTASTIC.

We stuffed the bird with aromatics: orange halves, fresh rosemary, onion quarters and I don't remember what all, but it was wonderful.

This year, due to my flare, Thanksgiving will be catered for us.

Glad you're on the mend and hope the dinner is wonderful!   It will be nice to be able to just take it easy and enjoy.  Smiley Happy

I don't really baste either.   Sometimes I will do ONE baste but that's it.  I like putting the aromatics inside.   For some reason orange doesn't appeal to me, but I like to do a quartered onion, few half-stalks of celery, a quartered lemon, and some fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, and couple of bay leaves.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Glad you're on the mend and hope the dinner is wonderful!   It will be nice to be able to just take it easy and enjoy.  Smiley Happy

I don't really baste either.   Sometimes I will do ONE baste but that's it.  I like putting the aromatics inside.   For some reason orange doesn't appeal to me, but I like to do a quartered onion, few half-stalks of celery, a quartered lemon, and some fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, and couple of bay leaves.

@chickenbutt

I'm glad you mentioned others, we did add celery and maybe lemon.

I forgot one thing... we also put fresh sage leaves under the skin of the turkey, here and there at the breast portions.  Love that, too.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I just took him out, after about an hour and 15 minutes, to give him some butter.  Back in he goes until about, I estimate, 3:00.    Noticed that I forgot to put some water in the bottom of the pan - oops!  Did that. P1110198.jpg

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt

Your turkey looks BEAUTIFUL! 

Love those little birds in the background, you and I like birds Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Thanks!  Smiley Happy  Yup, love da birdies!   I saw those one year on the seasonal commercial for Pier One.  I loved them and my husband got them for me.  So cute.  They are actually s&p shakers but I use them to just stand at the back of the stove and look cute.  

I've been getting a lot of cute birdie pics this morning, what with the bit of snow we got, and figured I'd take his pic too.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Watching my daughter cut up her deer at the dining room table.    

Respected Contributor

Cleaning, doing some work from home.

We are traveling to meet friends for dinner tomorrow, so no cooking for me.  Smiley Happy

Wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Let's all remember to keep those who have sadness in their lives in our prayers.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Cleaned up front yard.............strung about 1/3 of the lights.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@SoX

(((SoX))), thinking of you and hoping for the very best.  I hope you can enjoy your Thanksgiving!