Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are the most number of marriages.....

[ Edited ]

Within my immediate and extended family, we seem to have a record of 1 marriage only for those who married...with some ending in divorce...and we also have a few who remained single and never married....Of those who divorced, only 1 remarried.

One of my Aunts was in a relationship for over 40 years with a wonderful man who everyone loved...They were very commited to each other but never married...They had a very compatible and happy relationship....They also lived in separate homes which, most likely, was their secret to a harmonious relationship for so long! Woman Very Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

My Mom married my Dad in 1960 and married husband number 6 in 1986.  This was the till death due you part for her when she passed in 2013.  He was 10 years her Jr. so finally found one to keep up with her I suppose. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I know a couple married almost 30 yrs. that live in separate houses 8 miles apart. For a long time I didn't even know she was married. Had a daughter that lived with her. They are not "separated" except by distance.  

Whatever works I guess.

Respected Contributor

One of my first cousins has been divorced four times and married five to the same man! They first married at 17 and 18 years old and have three children. Altogether they've been married 53 years. It got to the point when we'd hear they were divorcing and then remarrying, everyone in the family was like yeah, yeah...😕they've also owned 5 different homes. So crazy...!!!😜

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

I know of two people who are on their 3rd marriages.  Both marriages are apparently going strong.  Even so,  I always wonder what makes someone want to be spouse  #3 or higher.  You'd think they'd stop and pause about their potential spouse's poor track record.   Maybe they do, and still decide to try it.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

DH’s ex is on husband #6...one of them she married and divorce twice....DH was her first husband...thank goodness he wasn’t in her long line of husbands...she meets most of them at AA meetings or bars...can’t imagine why they don’t last...
Respected Contributor

I love these kinds of threads. Aren’t people fascinating?

We have friends that married each other after each was 2x’s divorced. The woman divorced her 1st husband only to marry another controlling freak type man for #2 (ended in divorce).

My MIL is vehemently opposed to divorce.  Her greatest fear in life is that her kids will get divorced. Her motto is “one marriage only”.  So basically to deal with decades of marriage to my MIL, my FIL and that older generation are all functional alcoholics 

Trusted Contributor

😂😂

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

My ex has been married four times. I was his second.He is never happy it seems. It was a second for me and I have been single 15 years now.

Honored Contributor

No more than two, and even that has been rare.