Honored Contributor

Re: What are the best baking dishes you have?

@novamc1 wrote:

@barrel racer

You said you collect vintage Pyrex.  Yesterday, I went to a local consignment shop to pick up some items that had not sold (due to the shop's insistence on overpricing, but that's another topic)......

While there, I spotted a set of three  vintage  nesting Pyrex  mixing bowls in a color and pattern I'd never seen before.  The price wasn't bad at a little  under $15 for the set. I don't need bowls and only love to collect the old covered casseroles, but would like to identify the style.

Can you possibly give a hint as to what the pattern of those bowls is called and when it was an active pattern?.......it was kind of a dull brownish-grayish color with a speckled granite look to it, and it had a blue floral pattern on the sides, either similar to or identical to cornflower.

@novamc1

Sounds like Pyrex Homestead. If you google that and choose images, you can see a pic. It comes with blue decor on the brown speckeled background as well as a brown design on the same background. The blue was more popular. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I have Pyrex glass dishes, but I rarely bake ....  just during the holidays, for the most part.

@Tinkrbl44

You don't bake chicken or fish in the oven?  How about a roast or pork tenderloin?

Gee, I bake all the time.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

I've used my Emile Henry the most, but everything is good.  It really comes down to your taste and budget.  The Pioneer Woman pieces at Wal Mart are fabulous, but so is Pyrex, Polish stoneware, Temptations, the old Lydia Bastianitch (sp?) line QVC used to carry...tons of choices.  

@Blahblahvampemer

I love my Emile Henry, also.  I used to see it in magazines around Thanksgiving and I loved the pieces with brown trim.  I got the 8x8 and the 9x13 (or whatever their pans are close to that) just for serving during the fall. 

I also have the two stoneware baking pans from Pioneer Woman.  They were a gift and I was surprised by how nice they are, and sturdy.

Honored Contributor

I have to say, I have a wide array of brands in this category.

Temp-tations. It is ok, but not lifetime kind of quality. I like it for the patterns and colors more than the quality. Works good, cleans easily, won't last.

Rachael Ray. A bit better in quality than Temp-tations, and performs the same.

Lidia Bastianich. Only available now second hand, since QVC dropped it. Such a shame, because for the price point, it is the best quality stuff. Works great, cleans up easier than the above two. Try ebay as it appears there sometimes. Love mine

Polish stoneware. The good stuff that Q used to sell (geez, there is a pattern here of them discontinuing the good stuff) is way expensive, but performs very well. I did have a piece of this crack in the oven, so all stoneware, of any price point has that risk. I don't have much because of the price, it makes me affraid to use it all the time, and I don't like that it only coordinates, but you can't buy everything in the exact same pattern throughout their line.

Pfaltzgraff. Mine is from the 70's and is ok. Not quite as easy to clean up as the newer stoneware, but still functions like most stoneware. Nice to have to match the dishes, and one brand that, like Temptations has tons of stuff to match.

Longaberger pottery. First made in the USA but recently in China. They have been trying to get back to a USA manufacturer, but not going well. Even the China stuff is excelletnt. I don't have Fiesta, because I find it ugly in design, but it is every bit as good quality as the Fiesta in my opinion. Made in USA Longaberger can be found on ebay easily, to avoid the high prices of the new stuff.

Pyrex clear glass. Not my favorite, because it is boring. If you choose to get this, find the old stuff second hand. The newer is made of a different kind of glass, and isn't as strong as the original.

Pyrex colored glass (vintage). I like this better than the clear, collect it (especially mixing bowls) and find it to be thinner than Corningware or ceramic, so burns easier. Can be hard to clean up.

Corningware. If I had to choose only one kind to keep, this would be it. Practically indestructible. Not the most beautiful stuff, but will last many generations. Many people complain that it doesn't clean up easily, but I don't have a problem with it at all.  If I have any sticking, I can use Bio Cleaner and it looks like new in just a minute. Buy the old stuff, and stay away from anything new here, just like the Pyrex. The old ones are even safe for the stove top (as well as oven, fridge, freezer, microwave, dishwasher). To me, if practicality and longevity and performance are the most important things, this is what to have and use. I have many others because I love tablescapes and lots of styles colors and patterns. 

@Shorty2U

Respected Contributor

My favorites are my Apilco round white casseroles, but I have a number of others that I love. Corning, Temptations, Lodge etc. All price ranges! I still have a clear glass one from my very first apartment! All are used and loved!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Polish Stoneware isn't meant to match, it's the variety of patterns that makes it unique.

BUT!  You aren't the only one who likes matching patterns.  There is a discount Polish Stoneware site online which sells pieces by pattern.  I can dig up the URL if you're interested. 

Their prices vary from the more expensive pieces to the more affordable.

Honored Contributor

BTW, for those who like collecting the older Pyrex and Corningware, there's a lot available on Etsy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beachy1 wrote:

I use Pyrex, Corningware, and Le Crueset only. 

Never had a problem...

This is exactly what I have, too!  Smiley Happy

The only thing with the Corning Ware is that the newer ones are 'made in China' stoneware, so they're not nearly the same as the older stuff. 

The good thing, however, is that you can find the older ones 'brand new in box' often on ebay.   I filled out my collection of the older CW French White, and added some of the French Black, from ebay - all new pieces (as in unused, still in the box).

You can tell the difference because the old Pyroceram (it's like a porcelain more) has the totally smooth bottom and will say 'Made in the USA' on the bottom.  The new ones have the unfinished ridge around the bottom, which is standard with stoneware, and says 'Stoneware Made in China' on the bottom.

If you can get the older ones, do that!   

I'd stay away from really cheaply made stuff, like the Temptations type stuff that is improperly fired and just generally poorly made.  I also find them particularly aesthetically unappealing, but I guess that's just a  personal taste thing.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Beachy1 wrote:

I use Pyrex, Corningware, and Le Crueset only. 

Never had a problem...

This is exactly what I have, too!  Smiley Happy

The only thing with the Corning Ware is that the newer ones are 'made in China' stoneware, so they're not nearly the same as the older stuff. 

The good thing, however, is that you can find the older ones 'brand new in box' often on ebay.   I filled out my collection of the older CW French White, and added some of the French Black, from ebay - all new pieces (as in unused, still in the box).

You can tell the difference because the old Pyroceram (it's like a porcelain more) has the totally smooth bottom and will say 'Made in the USA' on the bottom.  The new ones have the unfinished ridge around the bottom, which is standard with stoneware, and says 'Stoneware Made in China' on the bottom.

If you can get the older ones, do that!   

I'd stay away from really cheaply made stuff, like the Temptations type stuff that is improperly fired and just generally poorly made.  I also find them particularly aesthetically unappealing, but I guess that's just a  personal taste thing.  Smiley Happy

YES!

Hi @chickenbutt Smiley Happy

I have pieces my mother had collected and I am so glad!  After all the stories of the newer pieces exploding in the oven, I was afraid to buy anything new in the Pyrex line.

Honored Contributor

Hey Noel!  Yeah, too bad they changed it.  Smiley Sad

I'm always surprised to see how many pieces that are still brand new, of the original Pyroceram that you can find.   It's been a number of years since they changed to the stoneware from China.

Once, probably some 10 years or so ago, I accidentally dropped and broke my 2.5qt oval French White piece.  I was sooooo bummed.  

My husband went out and purchased for me a whole boxed set of French White pieces.  Unfortunately (and I never told him this), they were the new stuff and - man!  Put it next to the original stuff and it's just awful.

Anyway, at one point I got rid of those and replaced them with more pieces of the 'old' stuff.  Fortunately, I was able to find another brand new 2.5qt oval piece.    I never told him, so he will never know, but I did appreciate what he did.  Smiley Happy