Honored Contributor

Re: What are passengers supposed to do with their hands?

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Treat the officer with respect; keep your hands where he can see them; do what he tells you to do.  And be quiet.

We don't live in China.  That's what they have to do in China.  Yes, we should keep our hands where the officer can see them, but you most certainly can ask the officer questions.  Doesn't mean he'll answer, but your first amendment right is not taken away by a traffic stop.

Ask all the questions you want after/if you get to the police station but when an officer pulls you over, you do NOT ask the questions.  You answer his questions and do what you are told.  If you feel you were denied your rights, you deal with that LATER.  Good grief, I've heard some bad advice but this really takes the cake and could get someone killed.  This isn't China but when you get stopped by the police, it pays to act like you are.  

Honored Contributor

@Princesswife wrote:

@Desertdi  What ever your siping on tonight please pass threw cyber world and give me some, your to much

@Princesswife   My husband was from a large city in the East  where a lot of people don't drive..........and having a car was a new phenomonen for him.    He was like a "little kid".............   I wasn't joking.  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Treat the officer with respect; keep your hands where he can see them; do what he tells you to do.  And be quiet.

We don't live in China.  That's what they have to do in China.  Yes, we should keep our hands where the officer can see them, but you most certainly can ask the officer questions.  Doesn't mean he'll answer, but your first amendment right is not taken away by a traffic stop.

You can.  Sure you can.  Have after it and see what happens.  Throw in some insults and inflamatory language too.  It's your right after all. But is it worth the risk?  What good does it do?

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

More important than hands is what to do with mouth.  Keep it shut.  Teens especially like to mouth off.  That does nothing but aggravate the situation.

Not just teens --- people who hate cops in general like to mouth off to them.

Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

When the driver of a vehicle gets pulled over?  What if there are many passengers in the back seat besides the one up front.  Where do the hands go? 

On the record button?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pqfan wrote:

@truffle wrote:

When the driver of a vehicle gets pulled over?  What if there are many passengers in the back seat besides the one up front.  Where do the hands go? 

On the record button?

I would be tempted to record everything from my phone too. 

We are pretty much conditioned by now to automatically place our hands on the steering wheel when we are the driver and pulled over. 

It seems passengers are left to their own devices and told to  *wait unitl a cop tells you what to do.* 

I agree with Hockynut who said the more passengers you have the more dangerous the situation could be. 

Honored Contributor

My BIL brought up this topic at a family gathering a couple of weeks ago.   He is a Deputy with the local sheriffs department here in WV, and this is what he told all of us to do if we are pulled over by local law enforcement.   

Turn off the ignition, sit still and wait for the officer to walk up to the car; be prepared for him to walk up to the passenger side.  The first question you will be asked is "do you have a gun in this vehicle?"    If you answer yes, then the officer will ask you to exit the car, so he can take temporary possession of the gun for the duration of this traffic stop.  

Next you will be asked for license, insurance and registration.   I mentioned how my purse is sometimes in the floorboard in the backseat, and my BIL said I should say that my proof of insurance and registration is in such and such location, and my license is in my purse in the back, and that the officer will do a visual safety check before giving me the okay to get both.  He said not to make a move to get either until instructed by the officer.  

Once the officer is ready to go to his cruiser to write the ticket, he will likely allow you to get back inside your vehicle.   Once he runs your personal information and writes the ticket, (if you do not have outstanding warrants, etc), he will come back to the passenger side, hand you your license and registration info, as well as the clipboard to sign your ticket.   He will then hand you a copy of the ticket while explaining the procedure to pay, or go thru the court procedure.   Once you verbalized understanding, he will return your gun, and you are free to go.   

For vehicles with more than 2 occupants, the officer will pull you over, but will wait until a second officer arrives on scene before both officers approach the vehicle.   Again, he stressed for us to sit very still, do not be observed talking nonstop, or making movements that are deemed suspicious.   No one talks except to answer questions.