Respected Contributor

Re: What are passengers supposed to do with their hands?

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Questions on here never cease to amaze me.   Some people must be having sleepless nights.

The new law in the State of Illinois making it mandatory for kids to learn in school what to do when they get pulled over is in today's news.  Questions will be included in the State of Illinois driver's test. @fthunt

Valued Contributor

Important to have this conversation with young people.  They need to be very careful if they are stopped or confronted.  Especially if they are ethnic looking.  With everyone and their granny packing heat, the police are on edge and rightly so.  As we've seen, a simple traffic stop can quickly escalate to tragedy.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Questions on here never cease to amaze me.   Some people must be having sleepless nights.

That's rude.

Esteemed Contributor

Keep hands visible, be quiet, no sudden moves and stay in your car unless directed otherwise.
Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

Make big photocopies of DL, Registration and any kind of Carry registration.  Put on dashboard, before driving away from house, so the cops can see them posthaste and wait for further instructions.

@tedEbear   Best answer!

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Responses on here never cease to amaze me........

Smiley b wink.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

Gosh.......I don't have a clue.    I used to make my husband ride in the back seat because he was such a nuisance.   But sometimes he would squeeze between the seats to fiddle with the air conditioner or radio.    A couple times he got stuck on the gear shift.   A few times.......he actually climbed over the front bucket from the back seat...........He had food stashed all over the place, too.................    I guess I'm lucky I was never pulled over, because he would have been a real challenge for the police officer.

LOL.  And you let him get away?Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

The new driver's licenses have a chip in them.  I wonder if it's possible for LE to read it from a hand held scanner without having to reach into the car to get it from the driver and passengers.  If the driver and passengers are carrying their licenses, it makes sense to me that the police officer's hand held scanners should be close enough to do this. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't learn to drive until I was 20 and the driver's ed instructor went over what to do - hands on the wheel until given instructions by cop.  Passengers should put hands on either dash, if in front, and the back of the seat  head rest.  Testing on that should be mandatory for anyone taking the driver's exam.   It's actually just common sense.  When I drive anywhere I put my driver's license, registration and proof of insurance on the console so the cop can see them there when he gets to my window.  Doing that has become a habit just as buckling the seatbelt is.  

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

The three times I got tickets I reached over to get my registration before the cop came to my window.  What are we suppose to do now?  Is there a new rule?

@GSPgirl

Back in the day, that was fine.  Now, pulling out your registration from the glove compartment or handbag as the LE officer is approaching could look like you're reaching for your gun.   Not a good idea.