Respected Contributor

Re: What are Men's Expectations when it comes to Dating?

[ Edited ]

Nothing has changed and I believe it never will when it comes to dating/relationships.

What matters is what you are comfortable with...like I said nothing has changed.

Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus.........Smiley Happy.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiscountDiva wrote:

Hey Irshgrl... lol i forget the rest! How are you? You remember me?

Hey Discount Diva!! I am good how are you? Of course I remember you!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I was thinking along the same lines as you, Melania.  Nothing's really changed.  

Honored Contributor

I think a lot depends on your age (and the age of the guy you choose to date).

My take is the younger, the less likely to wait. If you are more mid life, you might find a man who has had enough relationships to understand that something good is worth waiting for.

I wouldn't approach your ideas on the first date or two directly, but pretty soon after that, you should get to exactly what you are looking for (both of you) and your timetable for things. It will only save grief in the long run.

Respected Contributor

Honestly, you need to be fairly up front about this stuff, and IMO, if it's the right guy, they will be ok with it and on the same page. That's why I think it's great for friends to set you up. BC if they know how you are and what you're looking for, then they won't be likely to set you up with a guy who, on the first date, is going to want to get it on before you even order your appetizer. 

Honored Contributor

I think it really depends on their age and their moral values. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I'm ok. I have been so exhausted from work that I barely post. Hopefully I can leave my job soon since it is really taking a toll on me.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

Read Steve Harvey's book Act Like a Lady, Think Like  a Man.  I read it several years ago & wished I'd realized all that a looooonnnnnnnggggggg time ago.

Nothing changes: Men want a lady for the long haul, so we have to determine how long to hold out so they will know we aren't just one-night stands.  That's going to depend on your moral standards & female instincts.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad that I don't have to date anymore.

But if I did, I wouldn't want my friends getting me a date because if things go wrong it can lead to hard feelings. Been there, done that.

You don't need to do anything you don't want to and I don't care if men have needs.

As others have said, what are you looking for in a relationship?

Sometimes it is best to go out as friends.

In this day and age, please be careful. There are catfish out there.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiscountDiva wrote:

This is meant to be a serious question. I haven't dated much at all. I've been lucky I guess because the males I have encountered have been gentlemen and not pressured me to do anything I don't want before I am ready. Unlucky for me I was not into them.  Honestly, I am old-fashioned and don't want things to escalate to a seksual relationship for well--months. I had a friend who told me he was out if there was no action by the third date. What should I expect nowadays?

Are you looking to be in a relationship?  

The reason that I ask, is because on another thread in "Among Friends", you were lamenting about turning thirty, and thirty-five, and weren't sure if you wanted to have a child. In fact, you said that you were ambivalent about it.

Are you worried that if you don't settle down right now, that you might not have that child, that you may or may not want?

You have plenty of time. If you meet someone special, it'll happen. If not, it isn't the end of the world to be a single, child-free woman.

A lot of women are single and child-free. Some by choice, some, that just how life turned out for them.

And yes, people often attend church just to see who they can get to go to bed with them.

So, stop worrying and fretting about what the "what ifs". You only waste time and energy when you do.

Enjoy the life that you have.