Valued Contributor

Re: What an Olympic medalist, homeless in Seattle, wants you to know

Rebecca Twigg almost makes it sound like she is choosing homelessness, to some degree.  She mentions an immediate family, and an 18 year old daughter.  She doesn't want to talk about mental health.   There seems to be more to her homeless situation than "confusion" about employment.  So many cities struggle with homeless populations.  Some cities have better resources than others, some people choose not to use them , also.  I wish there were obvious solutions that could be put into place quickly to help people.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

There is a very interesting documentary regarding Seattle and the homeless; how the numbers are growing and new laws make it impossible to arrest for issues that we would think "of course you arrest someone for doing that!!". It's about 2 hours long and what stands out (it's an investigative journalism piece so facts vs opinion) is the number of arrests of the same individuals and all showed to have serious drug issues. Social workers, outreach, EMT's, police who work with the homeless all state that mental health is a small part of it but drug issues are overwhelmingly the problem. Those working in the trenches state that services should focus on drug issues/addiction, followed by mental health but politicians ONLY discuss and refer to it as a homeless issue.

Other cities do have the same issue, absolutely. And very few have chosen to take the harder, longer and more expensive route of getting addicts the LONG term help they need. When that does happen, the difference (the numbers of those who are homeless) begin to drop rapidly.

I think there's a bit more to this Olympic medalist story which may be why many refused to be interviewed. It's so sad no matter how you look at it.

@SahmIam 

I saw a news report and they said the homeless problem really grew in Seattle after the state legalized marijuana...While California's homeless issues are due more to the states economy...

Absolutely not true. I live here. Has nothing to do with legalizing marijuana. The drug of choice here dating back to the 90's or before is heroin, and recently has also been opioids. And by the way, many of our homeless here are from other states. There are a variety of issues among the homeless community: mental health for some, criminality, including drug dealing and robbery, for others, drugs and alcohol use for another faction, high cost of housing in the urban areas. Some of them would benefit from a mandatory mental health stay, a drug rehab stint, or counseling, but not everyone is receptive to any of these things and the law doesn't support mandatory actions. I get very frustrated with the whole thing as I think my city's refusal to arrest them when they are breaking the law contributes to the problem. The city thinks building micro houses will solve the problem. It hasn't. Many of the homeless have rejected any kind of living situation that has rules. A couple I know took in a homeless man and tried to "save" him. It did not end well. He wouldn't follow their house rules of no drugs after they provided him with food, shelter, clothes, dental work, medical, etc. He left and was found in a grocery store bathroom overdosed on heroin. Legalization of marijuana is not the factor. 

Honored Contributor

I once watched a news report on the homeless in Seattle.A man being interviewed said ...we don’t want for anything.I thought really then maybe it’s time for some tough love to get you back on track...drug and alcohol rehab,mental health support and job skills training.

seattle has so many people and agencies caring for the homeless that it has become a industry.