Honored Contributor

Re: What advice would you give you today if you were 18 again?

Wait for the Lord to send you Mr. Right.  Don't go looking for him.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Off the top of my head:

Lust is not the same as Love

Don't smoke cause it's a devil to quit.

Esteemed Contributor

Listen to yourself, don't be afraid. You're on the right path.

Gram was right, a girl needs a little "pin" money.

No matter how much you love him, a girl can't fix a broken man.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would tell myself not to marry a former boyfriend who was in the military stationed down south... I married him to get away from my mother who l didn't get along with. 

I was working in my town elementary school office and quit to marry him and move with him down south. Well...seven months later l found out he was cheating with another girl so l moved back to my small home town but now without the nice school job l had there...so l ended up moving four hours away and worked in another school district for 34 years. For many years, after moving to this big city, l ended up having high functioning depression. I know this happened because of moving.

I also would have told myself to make better decisions about men in my new city because now at 73 I'm not married and don't have any children. 

My life would have been entirely different had l stayed in my small home town. I would have been able to, in a few years, had my own apartment and see my parents (especially my Dad) every week, and the rest of my family...siblings and their families, aunts, uncles, cousins, stayed in contact with high school friends, et al... Had my family et al over to my apartment...hopefully gotten married and had one or two children. 

I'm not saying everything would have been perfect...but I always was a small town girl and in my heart l know things would have been so different than it is now...

If only....

Edited to add: I'm NOT a believer in the saying... "Everything happens for a reason." Nope! I made the decisions l made in life and they were the wrong decisions. Being older now I know this. The one GOOD decision l made was working for a school district, as a secretary, for over 36 years. It allowed me to retire at age 55 on Tier 1 New York State Retirement and it has given me a good retirement check, free health care because of my union...as well as my Social Security. ❤️

Respected Contributor

Education and good job before anything.

Make a list of what you want in a husband and don't settle.

If you don't find Mr. right you can sleep with Mr. wrong just don't marry him.

If you never find Mr. Right you won't have to suffer burrying him or divorcing so make the most of a free single life. 

If you are lucky enough to find a great husband and have children don't make the children a priority over him. 

The children will leave and never make you a priority over anything.

Make family a priority over friends.  Friends are fleeting most of the time but family is forever.  

Never smoke...not one good thing about it.   

Honored Contributor

My advice. Work hard, play hard. Be kind and charitable to the vulnerable. Don't judge others. Keep social justice at the forefront. A Type A personality can be very difficult and lonely so stop and smell the roses, enjoy life.

Honored Contributor

Where to start???  First of all, I would tell myself ---- Have confidence!  You are as good as anyone else!  You can achieve your dreams and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!  I would also say --- quite worrying about everyone else and worry about yourself!  Being kind and trying to do what everyone else expects to the detriment of your own happiness is not going to fulfill you or get you where you want to be or make you the person you want to be!  It's possible to be a good person and a kind person, without giving all of yourself away and then having nothing for you!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Spend more time with the older generation.  As when they are gone, it's too late Smiley Sad

❤️ @LindaSal.

Respected Contributor

First of all I just want to say I've asked this of myself many times through the years. Plus I've really enjoyed reading all the replies.

I would tell myself this: Listen to your heart and listen closely.Follow your dreams and go after them, even if someone tells you that you won't get them.

Do not marry young and don't settle on anything. Take your time and live wisely, but keep your heart close to the vest. Enjoy your youth and don't squander it. Life is short and being in my last year of my 6th decade I know this to be true. Also when I say don't marry young, I am talking 20 years old or younger. My DD waited until 31 and she said it was a good time to do so. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I would have told myself, "when you marry, don't live next door to his parents."