Honored Contributor

Re: What a sad end of the year this is

@cherry wrote:

@ cakers  I was told to rejoice, and look on the bright side. No one has any idea what my life .nor anyone elses has been like this past year, and people should respect others feelings, if they say they are sad, that is just how they feel

I have an acquaintance who loves to tell people who are having a difficult time that "everything always works out for the best", essentially negating their feelings.

The reality is that no, things do not always work out for the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'll try to be more optimistic, but I'm a person who lives life looking at how bad things could get and they got pretty bad in 2016. Like they say...when you're at the bottom there's only one way out.

If that is all you look for, that is all that you will find.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Feelings aren't right or wrong, and all human beings feel differently. There are differences in sensitivies and such that make us that way. This is the year that I finally figured out that no one has the right to tell me how to feel. That has been one of the biggest sources of pain and frustration in my life, people trying to do just that. Mostly people in my own family. Last year I actually had a family friend try to instruct me exactly how to feel when I was told my mother could have cancer. So I am really done with all that. It feels great to push back against it and just care what I think and feel.

I think I understand cherry. I read your other thread about your friend. Sometimes all kinds of personal and non personal experiences and events can just add up to much sadness. It often does for me. Carrie and Debbie makes me think about me and my own Mom so for me that makes it sad and poignant.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'll try to be more optimistic, but I'm a person who lives life looking at how bad things could get and they got pretty bad in 2016. Like they say...when you're at the bottom there's only one way out.

@CrazyDaisy,

No, it's not all I look at. I look at all my options, not just the bad but the good as well. Some people forget or choose not to see what could go wrong or bad. Not wise imo.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CrazyDaisy,

No, it's not all I look at. I look at all my options, not just the bad but the good as well. Some people forget or choose not to see what could go wrong or bad. Not wise imo.

Then why not live life looking at how good things can get.  People tend to get what they look for in life.  Lots of things "could" happen, what do you want to make happen.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Don't pay attention to people who tell you to just cheer up.  It's normal to feel sad if life has been difficult for you.

There are also various medical issues that can make you feel sad.  

Is everyone here familiar with SAD? Seasonal Affective Disorder?  A lot of people suffer from that at this time of the year, it's related to the difference in how much light there is during winter.

I knew a woman who couldn't understand why anyone could feel sad, she would tell them to just buck up.  The old Bootstraps theory.  I was around her for years and never saw her feel joy or happiness.

if something bad has happened in your life, let yourself feel it.  If it continues or interferes with your life, you might want to consider getting help from a doctor.

Above all, avoid people who can't understand feelings. 

Honored Contributor

By the way, several of us here have had heart attacks and other heart problems this year.  The American Heart Association recognizes and warns that sadness is a normal reaction.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

And here come the politics.

Wish all you want; if you want to change something, then do it.  Get involved or spin your wheels in misery-your choice.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

@Cakers3 you would be very wrong.

You have no idea what I am going through in my life and I would not presume to know what your life is like. Your jabs are getting old.