Super Contributor

What a relief! It's all over with

Yesterday was the last day of me taking prednisone. I've never had such a miserable experience with medicine in my life. I'm in my mid-60's and have had a lot of medical work done--replaced joints, crushed muscles, liver problems, a burst appendix, etc. and I can say without qualification that this was the worst.

It made me continually HOT, like an extended hot flash, short tempered and really tense, hungry all the time, and I couldn't sleep. It DID do what it was supposed to--alleviate the symptoms of fibromyalgia, which feels like one giant, bad, body-ache.

I don't know what I'll do if my doctor every prescribes it again; I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

And, by the way, this was on a dose of just 10 mg. once a day; she started me off at TWENTY and I don't know how I survived that.

I therefore invite you to rejoice with me that I am free of that nasty, though effective, stuff. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

Re: What a relief! It's all over with

I certainly hope your doctor had you taper off the medication and not abruptly stop. What will you take now? My doctor prescribed Gabapentin for me when I went off prednisone.

mm

Take care now.

my edit

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Super Contributor

mm, yes she did. I started out at a high dose and tapered down and down. What she was trying to find was the smallest dose I could take that would still be effective. And, yes, if she wants me to try again later I'm going to tell her that I need something to help me with the side effects and/or to try some other medication that will do the job without the horrendous side effects.

I'm going to google Gabapentin; thanks for the information.

Super Contributor

I feel your enthusiasm! It is cause for celebration. When I took prednisone I had numerous side effects and my diabetes was a nightmare to control . Wishing you good health in the future!
Respected Contributor

Hi again! Gabapentin is the generic name for Neurontin, and is an off label use for many things. I take it for polymyalgia neurotica and now neuropathy too. I also read that Lyrica is good for fibromyalgia, just hope you find something that helps you.Smile

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

On 6/4/2014 Mama Mia said:

Hi again! Gabapentin is the generic name for Neurontin, and is an off label use for many things. I take it for polymyalgia neurotica and now neuropathy too. I also read that Lyrica is good for fibromyalgia, just hope you find something that helps you.Smile

mm

My husband uses it for neuropathy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Does it help?

Honored Contributor

Very happy for you. I still have a weeks worth to take but they have had no effect on my body. Doctor said no refill and shingles are now a bit better, but I dohave some spots where it reminds me of my torn tendons and broken ribs.

Hope all goes well for you now.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

When my brother-in-law was critically ill and my sister was taking care of him she developed fibromyalgia and her doctor put her on prednisone. She did say the medicine will cure just about everything but when it was time to come off the doctor weaned her off for a year. Her son is a doctor and wasn't too happy she went on it but all went well.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

OMG, I can't wait until I can say that!! I'm down to 6 mgs now from 10 mgs last October . . . doing a very slow titration. It will take at least another half a year to get to zero, but I don't think I'll make it past 5 mg, as that is the lowest I've ever been able to taper down to. I have my fingers crossed because I am tolerating the 6 mgs fairly well.

Congratulations!!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986