Honored Contributor

What a "eerie" feeling at mall today...

I ventured out to one of the nicer and upscale malls today because the Apple store is there.

I masked up (although not mandatory) expecting it to be busy...I pulled into parking lot and it was almost empty.  Most times you circle around to find a decent space.

Headed into mall & it was "eery" because most stores were closed, "going out of business signs", and few shoppers☹️.

I don't know if LV, Tory Burch, Prada, etc have decided to wait to reopen but could be clientele not buying.  Nordstrom's inventory was pretty low and Dillard's didn't seem much better.

even the Apple store was not busy as normal times.

I won't be heading to mall anytime soon --even outlet mall stores are empty but then again 90+ degrees isn't fun to shop in!  

Honored Contributor

Re: What a "eerie" feeling at mall today...

@homedecor1   I had the same feeling when I went to the mall last weekend.

I don't live near any high end malls but even the one I was in there were still some stores closed.  If you wanted to try on clothes the line was VERY LONG at Macy's and at Penny's dressing rooms are closed.

I know that our business is not bouncing back, because the industry in our area is not back to work at 100% yet.  DH and I were talking about the entire situation last night we figure by the end of the year we will know if our business will survive...sigh.

Respected Contributor

In NJ our retail stores are still closed.  I was able to do some online shopping at Kohls and get curbside pickup.  One item didn't fit.  I will have to wait till stores open to do a return. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

We were in Florida last week on vacation and saw low inventory among the stores that were open. Some of the sales clerks did not know when new items would be in. I was reading that there has been disruptions in retail products. My brother in law works for a company that owns malls and Retail space across the country and has taken a 50% cut in pay along with others. He is not expecting his job to last through the year. 

I was in Home Goods and had the same experience where I live. The store was only about 50% full. I think I am going to stock up on some bras I like and a few essential items since nobody seems clear on manufacturing new merchandise. 

Floral Pillow
Respected Contributor

I, too, ventured out for retail therapy at open air mall.  So strange.  Many stores still closed, several had store closing signs, good procedures in place with hand sanitizer at door to use before and after.  I liked that.  Good number of customers, some without masks even though signs asked customers to wear. All personnel wore, but they were of various types and fits.  Fitting rooms not available.  Several stores they are just now getting first stock since shutdown.  Hours of stores greatly shortened.

Honored Contributor

I saw some things about retail trying to figure out what season to put out and whether to hold inventory for spring and summer to next year.

Lots of decisions to be made and not everyone will be happy with whatever they decide.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

My closest mall was looted so I imagine there is a lot of parking there.  

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne, that's awful.

Esteemed Contributor

@RhondaRena wrote:

We were in Flordia last week on vacation and saw low inventory among the stores that were open. Some of the sales clerks did not know when new items would be in. I was reading that there has been disruptions in retail products. My brother in law works for a company that owns malls and Retail space across the country and has taken a 50% cut in pay along with others. He is not expecting his job to last through the year. 

I was in Home Goods and had the same experience where I live. The store was only about 50% full. I think I am going to stock up on some bras I like and a few essential items since nobody seems clear on manufacturing new merchandise. 

How very sad for your brother in law.

I have only been in a hand ful of stores since this hit, and it's only been Wal Mart and Kroger, I have kept it at a minimum. I realized the other day, that I haven't gotten any new clothes this season, except some t shirts I'd ordered, and a pair of jeans and a pair of capris from QVC. I do think I am going to order some more clothes.

I'm afraid we may have to make do for what we have for a while.

I've been stocking up on food, household supplies- I just really didn't think about clothing or textiles. This is about a doozy.

Respected Contributor

Malls, themselves, are closed, but stores with outside entrances/exits are open, as are free-standing stores. Macy's and Kohl's were reportedly very busy, as was Best Buy.

I noticed Marshall's was open, and got there just after they'd let in a line of shoppers. It wasn't long before another line formed behind me, and after only about 10 minutes, we were allowed inside.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well-stocked Marshall's was, even their home goods. I'm glad I went before things were picked over--I'M going to do the picking lol.

What worries you masters you.