Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Would You Think if This House Was on Your Street?

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

She is renting not the owner of the condo she is living in. It would be the owners responsibility to report things not hers.

Prehaps you should go back and read the orginal post, CP.

That is what an HOA is all about, policing the neighborhood and making sure the rules are followed, renting or not. Part of her rent goes to pay the association fees. You must not know anything about HOA's

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

I'm back at a neighbor had the dumpster removed.  

Really?  My guess is the dumpster co. had a contract with the two women.  Why would they respond to a request by someone else?

now I'll read more. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

I have rented in my community for 16 years.   I have lived here longer than most of the HOA members!   I'm one of the few people in this complex who is aware of things being amiss and reports them.   Whether it is suspicious people looking around or other issues, it's usually me who gets it done.   

There were trees hanging so low some of the older members of the community couldn't walk on the sidewalks.   I called, I got it done.

It doesn't matter if you're a renter or owner.   My owner has never met me nor does he care.   He would do diddily.   I live here, I pay rent, I keep up my place, I have a right to make sure I live in a secure neighborhood.

More owners need to pay attention!    I save the owner's butt in my place because he doesn't care.   I lived with my parents and took care of them for years.  Now, I lost my job, so I can't move at this time, but will when I can.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking it may be a foreclosure situation and sadly, the banks don't do much, if any, upkeep or checking.  You are definitely right to report it to everyone you can for that reason that Noel said, if nothing else.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Daring:  You've done your job, reporting the vacant house.  It should be locked, because it could be a hiding/playing place for neighborhood kids and/or people who might start a fire by accident, etc.  Also, poor dear neighborhood pets could be locked in by mistake, so the house should be thoroughly checked before boarding/locking it.  All in all, it's nice that you are observant and are keeping an eye on it.  For safety's sake. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

The condo owner is liable and problem will be addressed with the owner not the renter. The HOA is aware of the problem.

ITA with this and all your posts!

Honored Contributor

I would be pretty upset.   There was a hoarder in our neighborhood.......and the neighbors were all shocked speechless..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

There was a story in our newspaper last year about a forclosed home in a very upscale neighborhood that got turned into a METH lab.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like it is  a money problem and the contractors walked off the job, or were told to halt.Or something happened to the escrow, and there is an ownership issue.  They could have even found something serious in remodel, and are trying the old owners.   I am in California and it happens a lot.  We have  had a few mansions started outside city limits, and were never finished.  Sheet rock and such was never even put up, just wood frame.  That was 10 years ago.  Still there. What a waste.  Makes you wonder what went on for the owner to abandon the home.

Incorporated cities have stricter code rules.  In our town we call call code enforcement, blight dept. If the home is wide open the police can be called.  They can get infractions,  In our city it can take months with an owner who doesn't co operate.  They notify owner, again and again.,  In the end they have to get legal papers signed, they go out take care of blight or trash, whatever it is, then put a lien on the home for costs.

If there is a HOA, they usually take care of it.  Some HOA are better than others, some are worthless and some can be over zealous.  I hope the issue is resolved.  I hate it when that happens.  It makes it tough on the whole neighborhood

Honored Contributor

That's a very dangerous situation.  Someone could easily build a bonfire in the living room and torch all the adjoining homes.  Between the city and the HOA someone should do something to secure the property.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment