Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Would You Think if This House Was on Your Street?

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

It is my business since I live 2 doors down and there are health codes and violations that need to be addressed.   It's a blight for the street and I pay alot of rent and don't need to live next door to a dump like that.   People have to have responsiblity for their property.

I know how you feel.  I don't have HOA and live in a residentil single family home.  Folks are so strange - they purchase a home and just let it go to pot.  I wonder why they bother.  Then the burden and responsibility of calling all the various authorites out to handle the situation because such a fight and a chore.  Then when the people leave or are evicted, the residence becomes spooky looking for the way they left it and trashed it.  None of it makes any sense. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course it's your business and I have some VERY GOOD advice for you.  Get your HOA to secure that property... NOW.

Squatters are taking over empty homes and living in them.  Once in there, it's almost impossible to get them out.  Sometimes they live there so long, they can claim ownership.

This happened in a very good neighborhood recently in northern CA.  Soon, a lot of people were living there, including a few prostitutes carrying on their business in the home, and car thieves.  Where there was no crime, there was suddenly a rash of crime.  This story has been all over the news.  It was finally our local ABC and their news reports EVERY DAY that got them out.

You are doing the right thing.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

From ChynnaBlue:

"That's absolutely untrue. It's the whole neighborhood's business if kids get in there and get injured or squatters decide to live in there and cause problems in the neighborhood. She's trying to make sure that neither of those things happen. She's not reporting someone because they have a pink flamingo on the lawn."

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Honored Contributor

If I were the OP and only a renter I would just mind my own business.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

As owners leave foreclosed homes, squatters move in

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/economy/article24554314.html

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The news story I was just referring to.

The crime wave from squatters happened fast, prostitution, car break ins and theft, dangerous dogs running free.  

Neighbors couldn't go out for a walk anymore, afraid to leave their homes.  Gunfire at night.  SEE THE VIDEO.

I-TEAM: SQUATTERS BRING CRIME WAVE TO OAKLAND HILLS

http://abc7news.com/realestate/i-team-squatters-bring-crime-wave-to-oakland-hills/839594/

Esteemed Contributor

Most muni's have laws against this:  attracts squarters, fires, crime.  Check w/ local bldg inspector for code violations, notify PD and FD and board of health.  Also call Selectmen/Planning Board members to get things moving (this will help, especially if anyone's up for re-election - huh!).  This also reduces prop values in area - complain to asseesor's office.  In other words, complain, complain, complain.  You and your neighbors may also be able to withhold HOA fees if the board continues to do nothing:  they're supposed to represent all property owners.  Saying a 'no reply' d/n suffice.

Esteemed Contributor

it's definitely your business and don't let anyone tell you elsewiseWoman Mad

Honored Contributor

The laws just aren't there or they are ignored most of the time.

Doesn't everyone remember the squatter issue with the Nanny?

Squatters can be your worst nightmare, and often times there is no help.

Esteemed Contributor

If u know the person who listed the unit and his company, u can contact him OR u could call ur ex-neighbor if u have her phone # (the old # should connect to the new #).