Respected Contributor

Re: What Would You Think if This House Was on Your Street?

Something similar happened in my neighborhood.  A single family home sold and the new owners were redoing the entire thing -- adding on and making it much bigger.  One day all work stopped.

Now, at least 1.5 years later, the house is unoccupied, and work has resumed at a snail's pace.  There are trucks and materials, but very little actual action.

I'd love to know what happened there . . . probably they ran out of money.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Frequent Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

I would let the HOA take care of it, it's really none of your business.

It most certainly is her business! You must not have read her post. Among other reasons, she lives two townhomes from that one.

Super Contributor

She is renting not the owner of the condo she is living in. It would be the owners responsibility to report things not hers.

Prehaps you should go back and read the orginal post, CP.

Trusted Contributor

The HOA can and should legally address this problem.  The HOA lawyer can make all inquiries and then petition the court to place a new door and lock on the unit.  All of this can be backcharged to the unit owner.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You've done everything you can do. I would also send a certfied letter to the HOA and my landlord to document what is happening. If it were me, I'd start looking for a new place to live given the man who lives next door who is cleaning the outside all the time and now this, it sounds like a 'unusual' place to live. I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable there.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Frequent Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

She is renting not the owner of the condo she is living in. It would be the owners responsibility to report things not hers.

Prehaps you should go back and read the orginal post, CP.

#1, whether or not she owns or rents her residence is irrelevant. #2, the owners are either ignoring or not receiving the messages. Sorry, gotta go, my iPad battery is about to stop.

Super Contributor

Still not her concern. HOA will take care of the problem.

Honored Contributor

It could also be an unscrupulous contractor that started the work and then took off.

Esteemed Contributor

Given the fact that you are a renter, I would take pictures of the front (no door, etc) and send a registered letter to the owner. Have them address it with the HOA.  Calling the city was a good move too. Not having a front door isn't good - all kinds of critters move in fast and you certainly want unauthorized people moving in either. Keep us updated on what happens. Sometimes HOA's move slow so keep in contact with your owner as well.

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

I would let the HOA take care of it, it's really none of your business.

That's absolutely untrue. It's the whole neighborhood's business if kids get in there and get injured or squatters decide to live in there and cause problems in the neighborhood. She's trying to make sure that neither of those things happen. She's not reporting someone because they have a pink flamingo on the lawn.