Valued Contributor

I was in this situation with a daughter years ago. She brought false allegations against a young man. I was called to testify.

Was it comfortable? No 

Was it the right way? Yes.

There are people who don't take responsibility and they can create more harm the further

The crime goes 

If you know the truth you must tell the truth.

Esteemed Contributor

I probably would not cover for anyone.  But, you just don't know what you would or would not do until you are that situation.  There are so many circumstances that could affect your decisions.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I have a second job at a small gift shop.  We have been open for a year and a half in a nice part of town.  We know of several items that have been stolen, some quite expensive.  Last Christmas I saw two young boys looking at an ornament they thought was cool.  After they left the store, I found the empty box on a shelf as they has stolen the ornament.  This store is struggling, and these thefts sure do not help.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I would not cover nor lie for them, if an individual does the wrong thing they need to take responsibility for for that.choice.

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

I think some parents might lie to protect their child, an awful predicament to be in.

Trusted Contributor

@Estellee wrote:

I think some parents might lie to protect their child, an awful predicament to be in.

Unfortunately, I know that to be true. Smiley Frustrated

A local (and highly popular) radio personality admitted that he would NOT turn his son in, if he had committed a crime - I lost all respect for him, after he said that.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan I don't know I haven't seen the show. 

Respected Contributor

No, if I knew they were guilty I couldn't lie. My integrity is everything to me....

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

I can see where someone would lie, I believe in the truth!

Honored Contributor

Re: What Would You Do

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was watching a show which got me thinking would I cover for a child or significant other if they committed a crime. I wouldn't cover for murder, sexual and physical assault, armed robbery, and hate crimes. I couldn't live with myself knowing about the crime and would turn them in. 

@Jordan2 

Sorry, but there are more choices here.

If I cover for someone, then I am also committing a crime. 

ME turn them in?  Doubtful.

What I WOULD do is actively work to get this person the best legal representation possible and then let their attorney handle things and "turn them in"

IMO, it's important to acknowledge when you're out of your depth.

(I don't have a background in law and wouldn't presume to know how to best handle any situation that could involve criminal prosecution.)