Honored Contributor

I learned to navigate Facebook by spending some time on my page clicking through all the settings.  You can control what you see by adjusting your settings.  You can also setup how you want to view posts.  You can rank your friends, so you always see Mary's posts first and Susan's last.  That way you won't miss who you want to see.

Honored Contributor

I think it is time to stop and think about what the word "friend" means.  Who is an acquaintance to you?  Who are you real friends?  There is a big difference.  

This world is trying to "bully" all of us into being "fiends" with people who are acquaintances to us, and have no real meaning as "friends." 

We all probably have lots of acquaintances, and have to stop and think how many are really friends in the true sense.  After you retire, you find out the difference, and find out there are new friends and acquaintances out there who have more meaning in your life now.

Esteemed Contributor

You can adjust your settings so you are the only one who can post on your own wall.

Not sure if she is posting on your wall or you're following her.

Honored Contributor

She isn't posting it to your page.  Its something she has shared on her own timeline/newsfeed and because you're friends is the reason you are seeing it.

If you want to remain FB friends, just unfollow her, she won't know.  

If you unfriend her, she won't know that either unless she notices that her friend count went down and does some investigating on her own.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

By the end of this year, I will be retiring from teaching after 27+ years.  I have not joined FB until just recently, thinking it may be a great way to keep in touch with friends and colleagues when I retire. 

When I joined, a friend, who I have know for decades, asked to friend her, which I did.  I haven't seen her in many years though we used to work together before I started teaching.  We've always had a nice friendship.  

Since accepting her as a friend, everyday  I receive several political posts from her on my FB homepage and timeline.  When I joined FB, my intention was to share pictures, events, memories, etc.  to keep in touch with friends. All of my current friends know I'm not into political posts/agendas and don't want them posted on my FB.   After seeing her posts these on my FB, I decided to message her with a very polite request to refrain from posting them on my FB.  I told her that, although I respect everyone's choice in politics, I prefer not to have them posted on my FB.  I added that all of my current friends are aware of this so that's why there are no other political posts on my FB.  I thanked her for her understanding.  She responded to my message with a Like 'thumbs up', so I thought everything was okay. 

Everyday, since that response from her, I have been getting the same type of political posts on my FB timeline and homepage.  I've taken the posts down each time I see them, but I'm not sure how I should handle this.  Should I just continue to take them down and say nothing, say something to her again  or something else?

you can "unfollow" her so you will stay friends but won't see her nonsense, which I have done.

some of the sites that people post have options to hide them so you won't see the topics anymore, which you can see by mousing to the upper right 

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

By the end of this year, I will be retiring from teaching after 27+ years.  I have not joined FB until just recently, thinking it may be a great way to keep in touch with friends and colleagues when I retire. 

When I joined, a friend, who I have know for decades, asked to friend her, which I did.  I haven't seen her in many years though we used to work together before I started teaching.  We've always had a nice friendship.  

Since accepting her as a friend, everyday  I receive several political posts from her on my FB homepage and timeline.  When I joined FB, my intention was to share pictures, events, memories, etc.  to keep in touch with friends. All of my current friends know I'm not into political posts/agendas and don't want them posted on my FB.   After seeing her posts these on my FB, I decided to message her with a very polite request to refrain from posting them on my FB.  I told her that, although I respect everyone's choice in politics, I prefer not to have them posted on my FB.  I added that all of my current friends are aware of this so that's why there are no other political posts on my FB.  I thanked her for her understanding.  She responded to my message with a Like 'thumbs up', so I thought everything was okay. 

Everyday, since that response from her, I have been getting the same type of political posts on my FB timeline and homepage.  I've taken the posts down each time I see them, but I'm not sure how I should handle this.  Should I just continue to take them down and say nothing, say something to her again  or something else?

Since you are new to Facebook, you may not completely understand how it works. I could be wrong, but I don't think your friend is posting these things to your page directly.  I believe she's probably sharing posts from other sites and it shows up for all her friends to see.  Because you are friends, things she posts will appear in your News Feed.  Anyone who is friends with her will see the same thing you do.  She has the right to post what she wants, but if you don't want to see it, you can hide her or unfollow her without unfriending.  If you do that, however, you won't see anything from her - no family news, pictures, funny memes, funny videos, etc.  If she indeed is sharing to a general audience (her friends), you don't have to worry about others thinking you are in agreement with her.  If you are seeing it because it's a News Feed item, and not a direct post on your wall, others can't see it so you don't have to delete.  You can just scroll past the posts that don't interest you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Would You Do?

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

What would I do?  I would just ignore it.  

Keep in mind that she's not posting this on YOUR page...she's posting it on her own.  It's Facebook that has it showing up on your feed so you can see what your friend has to say.  Others won't think it's from you as they can't see it.  There probably is a way to stop receiving her postings but I'm not sure how.

If you have a lot of FB friends there is always going to be someone who posts things that you don't agree with.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I would simply unfriend her. You asked her nicely not to do it. She has no respect for your wishes. There is always one isn't there?

@cherry . This friend isn't posting on the OP's page,  it's Facebook that's posting it on her feed.

Esteemed Contributor

There is also a SNOOZE button which I use. Itś for 30days and when it is about to expire

FB notifies you. You can still check the personś FB page while this is happening.