Respected Contributor

Re: What Would You Do?

[ Edited ]

@Julie928 wrote:

Good evening, everyone!  Just wanted to share an experience with a neighbor that I guess you could say is less than pleasant.  First, these people let their dogs bark for extended periods of time right outside our window.  Second, they have let their weeds on their side of my fence grow taller than me (and I'm 5'6").  Third, they do not dispose of their trash the way the rest of the neighborhood does.  You see, they hoard it in plastic grocery bags on the side of their house.  Once they have accumulated enough bags they load them in their car and dump them somewhere ~ have no idea where.  Did I mention I can see and smell their trash from our window?  But wait!  There's more!  Then this evening I noticed them setting up an amplifier of some sort in their driveway.  Then the man of the house and one of his buddies starting playing their guitars which yes, are both hooked up to the amplifier.  This is all being done within 20 feet of our window and has gone on for well over an hour.  How would you handle this?  I am not against people having friends over and if you want to play your guitar fine.  But does it have to be hooked up to an amplifier???  We have put a lot of blood, sweat & tears into maintaining our property and have no intention of being chased out because of people like this.  I love it here and want to handle this as neighborly as possible but have to admit both my husband & I are at our wits end.  Thanks in advance, everyone!

You better believe I would report them!!  They are violating several laws.  First of all, I would report them to your homeowners association, if you have one.  Then, your county most likely has a form or forms for reporting people who don't mow their lawns and have extensive trash on their properties.  Your local police should be called if they violate the after-hours noise laws.  I think there are fines, etc. for infraction of these laws.  I have already had to do this with a neighbor across the street--whom I call Pig Pen.  If you have an elected official in your area, call their office, as well.  Oh, and did I mention the Health Dept.??!!

These people don't deserve any kindness or consideration from you--after all they are driving down your property value, compromising your health and safety,  and making your life a living He--!!

Don't let one more day go by without taking drastic action!! 

Respected Contributor

Re: What Would You Do?

[ Edited ]

Julie, document every thing they do, time and date, and then when you want to file a complaint you can attach that log with it.  Just keep a record, put it in a file folder along with your above post to us.

Also, don't wait too long before you file a complaint or the city may say,

"why didn't you complain sooner?"

Honored Contributor

My neighbor's weeds were growing tall and through my fence, into my yard.  Two weeks ago I went to his side and cut them all down and sprayed them.   Well, I had a horrible allergic reaction to something in those weeds and broke out in hives and sores all over my body.  I'm still itching and doctor said it could be a month or two before I'm fully recovered.  So I will just spray weed killer over the fence from now on.

Most cities have a public service you can call.   Or find out who your neighborhood cop is and ask him/her to stop by and check it out.  I would call your "public works" dept first though.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely call code enforcement in your city, township, borough, etc.  I would have called the police about the noise and if the amps were set too high they could be made to lower the sound but if not after 11 in most places there would be nothing you could do. 

We recently put in a fence for our dog and were told we could not put the fence on the property line and there had to be at least 2 feet between the fence and their properties and most municipilities have this law.  That way the property with the fence is responsible for maintaining the fence line grass/weed growth.  They explained the neighbor should not have to be responsible for extra maintenance due to our fence.  We are lucky that we have great neighbors and the one next door usually just mows to the fence if he mows his lawn first because he says it's no big deal.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't confront them yourself....report them. Leaving trash out brings rodents...rats, mice, raccons.

My daughter had a similar problem and it was taken care of after she talked to the City health Dept.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely contact code enforcement. Don't know where you live, however, leaving garbage bags out is a big invitation for bears - not to mention other critters. I had to call code enforcement on a neighbor and actually invited them to my house so they could see first hand what I had to look at every day.  Good luck and keep us posted

Respected Contributor

Here, folks who do stuff like your neighbors are doing, get reported.  And then, if the person who complains feels extra angry, they call the newspaper so a picture is published for all to see.  Not sure if that makes the offenders clean up their act, though, but I have seen several pictures over the years of properties that look pretty shabby.

Honored Contributor

WOW - I FEEL your pain with what you're putting up with in your BAD neighbors.  Your story is exactly the same as my story about a house full of male renters right next door to my husband and me about 5 or so years ago.

Two guys bought the house next dr to us, swore they would not be renting it.  a mere 9 months later, the for rent sign was in the front yard.  They actually advertised to 'guys' only. 

We put up with a house full of college guys who thought their back porch was the dumpster for trash.  It brought all sorts of stray animals picking thru it, dragging it around, eating it, from raccoons, opposums, dogs, cats, you name it.  I called the health dept to check it out and they told me they were not permitted to go into the back yard so I told them to join me in my yard to look at the MESS.

They also one night had a LIVE BAND in their living room which is directly under our bedroom window.  I could not believe what I was hearing!!!!  These guys partying every night, underage drinkers, talking, yelling at the top of their lungs.  Yes I phoned the police constanly about these guys and the NOISE.  They were supposed to be students but I'm not sure any of them ever went to class.

I phoned so many groups to help me out it was insane.  And honestly, I didn't get much help from anybody.  I phoned the landlord about these guys too.  Invited him in to my home a few times, called him a slum lord to his face - he was none too pleased but I told him he did NOTHING at this house to keep it up.  These guys DESTROYED this place.  AND he had the nerve to renew their lease - I FREAKED OUT AT HIM!!!!  He finally got rid of them and rented to some girls after that.  They were great as were the next group of guys.  Now there are 2 couples (guys & girls) who we met last weekend, they too seem to be good 'kids'/students. 

I certainly feel for you and what you're putting up with.  I hope you're able to find more help than what I got.

Honored Contributor

You can not spray weed killer in your neighbor's yard without their permission. If someone sprayed poison in my yard they would regret it. You can cut weeds that come through your fence but you can't go into another's yard and cut them.

Respected Contributor

If the weeds are truly that bad I would call the fire dept. They usually come out FAST to inspect potential fire hazards and high weeds and hoarded trash fit that catagory! You will get action from them.....the other gov. officials will probably just give you a run around unless you keep calling and calling (my experience). Bless the firemen! They get it done!