Respected Contributor

Re: What Were Your Teen Years Like?

It always makes me sad to read how many here had terrible high school years. 

I grew up in one of the nicest areas in NJ. My sister was a year ahead of me and both of us did well academically and participated in as many activities as possible. My husband was my boyfriend all through high school. I had great friends and loved pretty much everything about school.

Our home life was far from perfect.  While we had the world's most loving father, our mother was another story.  She suffered terribly from manic depression which in turn affected our lives.  We never knew whether she was going hug us or throw a knife at us. She was our dirty little secret.  The public believed she was a beautiful lady, always dressed to the nines with never a hair out of place.

I do believe what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

What?  Nobody discovered drive-in movie theatres ? 😚

I did, I did!!!!!! Woman LOL

I did, I did too.  We still have an outdoor theatre, but I haven't beeni there in more  than 50 years & we are less than a mile away from it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pretty, pretty Cool and Amazing   

and, alot of awesome people, music, and the War & Woodstock

Some big emotions and loss in my young life, but mostly a

Charmed, Beautiful life I had.  

Greatest loving Mother, Daddy, and Big SisterHeart

Monke~ 

Respected Contributor

he11.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in a "tough" city in N Jersey but I loved my teen years.  Belonged to a sorority, football, cheerleading.  I spent wonderful weekends at Palisade Amusement Park & vacations at the Jersey Shore.  We watched bandstand and danced on the streets to our portable radios.  Times were simple, less stressful and uncomplicated. 

We did have a bleak time when we experienced the race riots but our neighborhood was very diverse and we didnt quite understand....our small neighborhood became even closer & we marched as a unit through our City.  I made lifelong friends as a result of the experience and learned a valuable life lesson. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

It always makes me sad to read how many here had terrible high school years. 

I grew up in one of the nicest areas in NJ. My sister was a year ahead of me and both of us did well academically and participated in as many activities as possible. My husband was my boyfriend all through high school. I had great friends and loved pretty much everything about school.

Our home life was far from perfect.  While we had the world's most loving father, our mother was another story.  She suffered terribly from manic depression which in turn affected our lives.  We never knew whether she was going hug us or throw a knife at us. She was our dirty little secret.  The public believed she was a beautiful lady, always dressed to the nines with never a hair out of place.

I do believe what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I'm very familiar with manic depression, one of my dearest friends of 60 years suffered from it.  When she was  manic she went shopping and charged hundreds of dollars worth of clothes, took flying lessons, etc., when she was depressed it was so sad, she wouldn't leave the house, would sit in a chair and rock.  Her three boys and husband did the best they could.  Finally a doctor prescribed medication and lo and behold she slowly and  surely became normal.  She passed away in 2011 from breast cancer and I will always remember the great friendship we had.  I am so sorry you had to experience it while growing up and thank God you had a loving father, it had to be most difficult for all of you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@mintedrose...After reading your experience while growing up I sat back in my chair and took a deep breath.  I never stop telling people about my father and mother, two of the most loving, caring, giving, understanding parents two sisters could ever have.  I also tell everyone who will listen about my childhood, a summer house on Long Island where we spent all of our summers, just walking down to the beach, making new friends, not a care in the world.  We were not wealthy, my father built that summer house with the help of some of my uncles.  Five families purchased land, divided the acreage and built what we called a bungalow on each portion of land.  After reading your story I find it almost impossible to sit here and talk about how great my teen years were.

I am so, very, very sorry you were treated so badly by the very people who should have sheltered, cared for and loved you.  I don't know the rest of your story, how you managed to keep yourself together, or if you were left with scars that haven't healed.  God Bless you mintedrose, I hope your life today is happy.  I hope you have love and good friends.  I wish you all good things because after the way you were treated while growing up you deserve the best life has to offer.   Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandmathank you.  First of all i wanna send you love Heart 

I think maybe i shared more than i should've. Honestly, i dont talk about it to anyone, not even my husband because i dont like to re-visit it. My husband had totally different teen years. He had loving supporting parents, good brothers, and happy memories. Something i cannot feel and have no idea what its like. However, I love hearing those stories because they sound like beautiful fairy tales to me. 

My story wasnt meant to make anyone feel bad, and I apologize if it seems that way.  it was just my experience, my spread of cards to deal with. Some people just seem to have harder battles and tougher tests. Yes, i have some scars but Im much stronger for it. God has blessed me in so many ways and brought me closer to him in a way that makes everything else pale in comparison. I am still learning and growing.

I will say that karma is very real. All those people who treated me that way are very sorry now and suffering. It doesnt bring me any joy and I wont go into details here but Its quite painful to hear what they're facing. I guess its God's plan. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My friends and I ran around to the bars every weekend and sometimes Sunday afternoon.  We skipped school and went shopping or went   to a friends to  drink and hang out.   Even tho I was not much of a drinker.

Friends and I would meet random guys and go off with them to other parties or bars . We are lucky we never met up with any dangerous guys.

I loved riding motor cycles, parties, dancing, playing pool.

Dated only cute guys with long hair.

Fell in love for the first time at age 16.   Met new guy and got engaged at 18 but broke up later.

Met a new guy, got pregnant at age 18 and had a mis-carriage.  At this age also found out that my Dad was having an affair and thru the years he had other affairs too. Never told my Mom, it would have hurt her too much.

Still like long hair on guys Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@mintedrose  No apologies necessary, you didn't make me feel bad.  It is just that I found it difficult to express my wonderful teen years knowing someone else's life was no where near like mine.  As for Karma, I am a big believer in it and personally I have someone in my life who treats me badly and the thought of Karma eventually rearing its head gives me comfort.  I'm happy that God has blessed you and your life is on a much higher level now than it ever was.  Heart