Trusted Contributor

Re: What Were Your Favorite Dance Songs from the Late 70s/Early 80s?

How can I forget, Hall and Oats: I Can't Go For That!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccenFp_3kq8

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Three that instantly came to mind:

"Got To Be Real" by Cheryl Lynn (1978)

"Let's Groove Tonight" by Earth Wind & Fire (1981)

"What I Like About You" by The Romantics (1980)

Valued Contributor

@Lotus wrote:

I  used to love going to dance clubs back in the day!   This is one of my faves.

Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel  <-----click

Lotus, This is the most fun I have ever had on a post! It has brought back memories of the best time in my life. Thanks!

Alleycat

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

It's Rainin Men - The Weathergirls

YMCA - The Village People

Hot Hot Hot - Buster Poindexter

I'm So Excited - The Pointer Sisters 

mini haha.gif

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

You ladies are really young!  I've never heard of most of these 80's songs I must have been too busy taking care of toddlers.

LOL @muttmom  I'm in my early 60's, and I've not heard of many of the songs listed here.  Disco is definitely not my preferred choice of music.  However, I love to dance...I have a sister about 13 yrs younger who was a disco queen, and we went clubbing a lot in the late 70's, early 80's.  So much fun, dancing the night away.

This thread got me playing some of the songs mentioned...then I moved on to Dreamlover, Mariah Carey (one of my favorite dance songs)...Falling, Beatles...Layla (unplugged), Eric Clapton...Because the night, 10,000 Maniacs...Light my fire, Jose Feliciano...I'm about to pull up Going up the country, Canned Heat, maybe a little Ian Anderson...so many memories.

Hope you have a great evening.

I'm going where the water tastes like wine Smiley Tongue Love me some Canned Heat!

Esteemed Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

I'm going where the water tastes like wine Smiley Tongue Love me some Canned Heat!

'Morning nunya...ya know, Going up the Country is the only Canned Heat song I know...always liked it...a toe tapper for sure.  Some of my choices (men, music, clothing), beliefs, and behaviors back in the day are embarrassing to me now LOL, and this song could be exhibit A...I think they were a bunch of druggies.  Have a great day.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Funky Town!!  Just last week it came on the radio driving to my office and seat/drove danced all the way to work.  I am sure I looked like one crazy old woman to some, but it took me back to my clubbing days of 1979--------- until I married in 1981,

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Based on the posts I've read here (which certainly  aren't all of the many posted), those of you who do not already own the 3-volume set of CDs titled "PURE DISCO" should look for them somewhere such as eBay, which currently has a number of them at good prices.

Volumes !, 2 and 3 are my most treasured and most-played music. 

All the good artists:  BeeGees, Kool and the Gang, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor,  Barry White, Blondie, Abba. Village People, K.C & the Sunshine Band,  etc etc,

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Based on the posts I've read here (which certainly  aren't all of the many posted), those of you who do not already own the 3-volume set of CDs titled "PURE DISCO" should look for them somewhere such as eBay, which currently has at least two of them for less than $8.00 each.

Volumes !, 2 and 3 are my most treasured and most-played music. 

I need to do that.  I remember when American Graffiti came out in 1973 when I was 12 and my Mom was a 1961 graduate.  We bought the sound track and I fell in love with the songs of her youth.   Some just live on forever regardless of the decade or if we are wearing bobby socks or spiked heels!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Now wait just a doggone minit, Becky!  We didn't wear bobby socks in the 1970s!   Those days  were the 1950s.  LOL!