Honored Contributor

Re: What We Can all do now re: Covid19

@Kalli   When you use the term "nursing home", I'm assuming you're talking about a skilled nursing facility?   I think terms vary, and I've heard some people call assisted living homes, nursing homes, although they're not 

My mom is in assisted living and the staff is screening visitors, but I wouldn't want them to ban us.  I just took my mom out for lunch today.  She needs to interact with her family!   And we need to do the same with her.  I did insist she use hand sanitizer, and had her thoroughly wash her hands once we returned. 

Honored Contributor

It's such a shame that a mistake by a poster is now the truth to those who don't read the whole thread. Please excuse my all caps:

IT'S CHINA THAT IS SEEING FEWER CASES, NOT OUR COUNTRY OR ANY OTHERS.

Whatever China may have done in the beginning, they certainly stepped up and did their best soon after.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

According to the news this morning its on the decline.

@Imaoldhippie I haven't heard the news this morning but I pray that you're right!!

@haddon9 

It's China who is on the decline.....

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

It's such a shame that a mistake by a poster is now the truth to those who don't read the whole thread. Please excuse my all caps:

IT'S CHINA THAT IS SEEING FEWER CASES, NOT OUR COUNTRY OR ANY OTHERS.

Whatever China may have done in the beginning, they certainly stepped up and did their best soon after.

Oh yeah....our country is just gearing up for many new cases.  Harvard (and some other New England area schools) is clearing everyone out of the dorms at spring break, and they aren't coming back!   Online classes for the rest of the year 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I hope that's true but I just this minute, 3 pm, heard it's still increasing.  New Jersey has newest case.  So far 27 dead, 849 confirmed cases and rising.

I don't understand why people coming from high risk areas aren't tested yet.  I know of a particular case where the person came from Italy and is now in isolation.  There was no testing as far as I know.

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@Cakers3 

Reminds me of the over-the-top response to SARS. Being careful doesn't mean being terrified. Nor does it mean sticking your head in the sand. Nor does it mean denying. Being SENSIBLE is one thing.

Because of my health condition, I'm careful about washing my hands and of being in large crowds of people. But that doesn't stop me from going to dialysis twice a week with about 40-50 others. 

@Sushismom   I'm sorry you have your health condition. 

My DS is in and out all the time at the VA with more appts. than I care to think about and I do get concerned for his sake.

DH has not as many appts. but I still get concerned for him too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I hope that's true but I just this minute, 3 pm, heard it's still increasing.  New Jersey has newest case.  So far 27 dead, 849 confirmed cases and rising.

@Mmsfoxxie 

29 deaths

950+ confirmed

And the country of reported decline is...China.

Respected Contributor

CT just put out an order today ...can't visit my mom at her assisted living for the forseeable future. Smiley Sad

They DID let me enter to pay the bill! Woman Wink

Of course I'm happy they are taking precautions for this most vulnerable portion of our population. On the other hand, as someone here said...the health workers will have to really take precautions as they will be out and about and still taking care of our loved ones. Also, it will really limit the quality of life for them...no weekly live music, (one of mom's favorite things) and other things they are limiting.  Each day is a gift at this point so I hope this does not go on long. They are saying, at this point, we can still pick up our loved ones to go out...but they are imposing limitations as to where you can take them...though not sure how they can enforce that.

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

CT just put out an order today ...can't visit my mom at her assisted living for the forseeable future. Smiley Sad

They DID let me enter to pay the bill! Woman Wink

Of course I'm happy they are taking precautions for this most vulnerable portion of our population. On the other hand, as someone here said...the health workers will have to really take precautions as they will be out and about and still taking care of our loved ones. Also, it will really limit the quality of life for them...no weekly live music, (one of mom's favorite things) and other things they are limiting.  Each day is a gift at this point so I hope this does not go on long. They are saying, at this point, we can still pick up our loved ones to go out...but they are imposing limitations as to where you can take them...though not sure how they can enforce that.

@amyb   I'm sorry and I hope your mom will be fine without visits.

I saw that many facilities caring for the elderly are preventing visits for the time being.

It's hard all around.

Maybe they mean you can get out around the grounds for a visit?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Cakers...I guess this too will pass, and my mom takes things in stride, so she'll be fine with it. lol...that is, unless we're still talking about this in a month or two...hopefully not!  The facility is still working out the "going out" thing; as of today they were saying you could pick them up to go out...but this may change..