Respected Contributor

Re: What Was Halloween Like in Your Neck of the Woods?

I actually got rid of the candy this year! Normally I get 10 trick or treaters with the same amount and have leftovers. This year, I had bagged candy on a table outside with a sign that said one per trick or treater. I definitely think more were out this year - I started seeing kids and teens walk around before the 6pm start time. The weather was nice but chilly, and I think more people just wanted to get out and enjoy themselves regardless of whether they got candy or not. My town did a trick or treat Friday night on Main Street with all the businesses handing out candy and it was a massive success. They couldn't do their annual costume contest and parade, so this was Plan B and I think it was a great idea. My niece went and got a lot of candy so she didn't go around last night, she stayed in with her parents and they made treats. I dressed up and took some pics on Facebook - was a hippie and a black widow spiderwoman. Then I stayed in and watched some old Andy Griffith murder mysteries from the 70s. It was a good day overall.

Honored Contributor

We did have some candy just in case, but as usual, no kids showed up. Our neighbors across the street concocted a way to slip candy into some type of shoot from their balcony down to their driveway. Poor guys...I doubt that had any takers either.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Little goblins everywhere having a wonderful time!  It was great to see them out.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I am in California.  There wasn't a kid in sight.  I miss tem

Honored Contributor

We live on a cul-de-sac with 14 houses. No one had their porch lights on and two blacks down we could see every light was on...but nobody out trick or treating. Very unusual since we usually have some kids, but fewer each year as they are growing up and going to parties instead. Seems it all came to a screeching halt this year.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually do not get more than 5 groups, but did not feel comfortable opening my door to strangers as I am in an at risk group for COVID. I turned off my porch light and had no trick or treaters. I am relieved that holiday is done and will be even more relieved after November 3rd.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately we had a whopping 3 kids. There were 3 of us on the entire street with our lights on to pass out candy.  It was at least 30 minutes before those kids came.  I ended up sutting my light off about 6:15 because there were no kids out.

I put my dog outside around 6:30 and generally I can hear kids on the street behind us out and about but nothing.  It was eerily quiet. 

Our city held a trunk or treat earlier in the day which I didn't even know anything about until the day before.  It seemed like there was a good turn out for that.  They should have just canceled trick or treat but my guess is the mayor didn't want to take heat for doing that.

Trusted Contributor

Forgot to menion a weird sighting. Some guy ( I am assuming it was a guy as the person was very tall, over 6.5 feet) was walking around with one of those Dr Plague (bird beak) masks on and a long black hooded cape, a staff and was holding a (flameless candle type) lantern. He was not with anyone and I did not see him speak with anyone. He was just walking up and down the block and would stop to just look at people then move on.Really creepy. I am guessing he was someone local who just wanted to scare people. I think if he was a risk one of my neighbors would have called the police to have him checked out. It just seemed a little strange to me. But maybe that was the intent since it was Dr Plague/2020/Coronaween 

Honored Contributor

Same as the last 20 Halloweens, no trick or treaters, no noise or ghosts.  I just sat back on my couch in my p.j.'s savoring the extra hour of sleep and watched Poltergeist.  Had a bowl of ice cream instead of a candy bar.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Very well organized - everyone planned ahead.

I live in a large apartment complex - and management set up spaces in all the playgrounds for candy distribution.  No trick or treating in the buildings .

Our parish set up "trick or treat" tables outside with "spooky" decorations for parish and neighborhood kids.  Volunteers manned the tables and provided the treats.

Late Saturday afternoon, as I was coming home - I saw lots of kids out with their parents.  Looked like everyone was having a great time.