Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Type And Brand Refrigerator Do You Have

Your builder wasn't thinking of you!    They-He just bought the refrigerator that had the lowest price.  My GE is 9 yrs old - a big one with freezer on the top.  Love it.  Shark says perhaps an LG and I've heard nothing good about that line.  Neighbor's  LG washer bit the dust after 2 years - she said never a LG again.  So you have lots to think about.  I love Whirpool - have dishwasher and clothes washer.  GE refrig was just handy to buy at the time.

Esteemed Contributor

15.5 cubic foot GE top freezer, no ice maker (the freezer is small - that would take up too much room).  I like it.  The handles are recessed on the sides of the doors so it is sleek in a small space.

I am forced to be very organized, but it all fits.  Just two of us.  Cost $600.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

My 15 year old Kenmore died last year. I got a Frigidare white with freezer on top. I mention the color because, for whatever reason, my state has a white appliance tax. Who knew?

i really like the look of the LG and they get great reviews, but were too pricey for me at the time. I really like the new fridge.  Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

After years of owning Kenmore's, my less than five year old Kenmore Elite died.  The appliance repair person said that it could not be fixed (it was a lemon from day one--actually, the first one delivered did not work at all and a second one was delivered within a week).  He said the best out there was an LG, but the LG initials had to be on the door to be authentic.  I got the one with a double door on top and one large pull-out door on the bottom with an extra inside shelf.  I like it very much.

It sounds like you have a French door refrigerator which I like but is too big and expensive for me. The reason I bought the Kenmore fridge I have was to be able to get filtered water inside ( this was a new model and not offered before). I want a side by side so I can still get filtered water since it isn't an option with a top freezer and bottom fridge. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

GE Profile French Door with an icemaker in stainlessl. HATE IT WITH A PASSION OF THE HOTTEST SUN!!!

Give me the traditional fridge with a large square freezer on the top and  lots of room in a fridge below with NO icemaker and in plain white.

NEVER again will I have a French Door OR a side by side. Nope. Never.

Honored Contributor

I have a two-door, freezer on top Whirlpool.

Honored Contributor

I recently bought a GE French door style.  It was not an expensive model.  I wasn't sure about this style but I'm liking it.  

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2, one of my friends has an LG French door unit.  She has a tiny kitchen and was able to get one of LG's smaller units.  She's very happy with it and has owned it for about five years now.  I saw it and loved it.  When I got home from her house, I even checked the LG website for the dimensions, but unfortunately it's 2 inches too tall for the refrigerator recess in my kitchen.  Otherwise I would have seriously considered replacing my 17-year-old Hotpoint (made by GE).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

GE Profile French Door with an icemaker in stainlessl. HATE IT WITH A PASSION OF THE HOTTEST SUN!!!

Give me the traditional fridge with a large square freezer on the top and  lots of room in a fridge below with NO icemaker and in plain white.

NEVER again will I have a French Door OR a side by side. Nope. Never.

@SahmIam I hope you take this in the spirit that it is intended but I literally laughed out loud when I read your post (and also please know immediately sympathized with your situation).

After having very old appliances and always reading through threads that chatted about their experiences it seems to me to buy the most basic models you can lay your hands on as they are the most reliable and last the longest.  I recently moved and the refrigerator is very nice but I was not sad to see the ice maker was not hooked up as for me that is what ice molds are for.  Going forward, when I have to replace an appliance I will follow the path that many have blazed (including making your own ice cubes) . . . Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Whirlpool, freezer on top, white.  I've had it for over 15 years, never a problem.