Respected Contributor

Re: What To Do With One's Belongings

I have donated 2 furniture sets and a freestanding bathroom vanity with mirror to a local thrift store which benefits an animal shelter.  I have also donated a lot of clothing, much never worn, sadly to say.  I have dealt with Goodwill in the past and find them a  hassle.  There are one or two used book shops in my area which will take books and C's.  Sometimes it's donation only, sometimes they'll pay about 50 cents a book.  My Mom used a local auction place when she downsized.  I don't think she got any money for it.  They came and picked it all up.  My husband sells on Ebay, while he has made money on it, it can be a real pain sometimes.  Especially the shipping.  Shipping is very expensive and just about everyone wants free shipping.  He has lost money on items because he underestimated shipping costs.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

sorry for the loss of your mom.  

Many of us have been in your situation and that journey isn't a easy one!

My kids  remind me constantly they don't want to be in this situation (the one is a funeral director and sees too much of it) and the other side don't want the responsibility of emptying the home.

I do know we have a local bookstore that will take books - they sell then 2nd hand.  

I would ask around perhaps your area is not fully opened and COVID may be a deterrent.  Although, you can call AMVETS and they do pick up.

At this point, (including my own stuff) I'm just donating or giving stuff to the local womans shelter or youth ranch.

I've had only a few successes with FB marketplace or NextDoor selling things.  But, I've listed lots of stuff (w/pics) for FREE and have had a good response.  There is always someone out there who can use something.  

Good luck its overwhelming so I'd do a little at a time.  

Honored Contributor

So very sorry for your loss.  I know from all the responses, you will find a solution that will fit.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@bonnielu :

The hardest thing  I am told to get rid of is my piano.  I cannot even give it away.  

Bonnielu - my Mother had a upright grand piano. She spent considerable money getting it completely restored. THEN she decided she wanted another larger china cabinet. So with a few hours warning, she had the upright grand piano delivered to my house.

It took up alot of room. We finally looked to donate. NO ONE wanted it. So we had to pay to have it removed from the house and thrown in the trash. It was a beautiful mahogany piano that was such a shame to see it being hauled away as trash.

Wow...I'm amazed at this. Why/how is it that NO one wants a grand piano? Not like No one  plays anymore or that no one's kids don't take lessons? I get it...many people don't have the use or the room for it if they do. But...plenty do, I'd think...a lot of big homes out there. And, if not, then what about schools? Or lastly I thought about assisted living places...my mom's place had weekly musicians come and play...they all were different and most brought their own equipment, keyboards, guitars etc. But, occasionally some played piano and the home had their own piano.

Anyway...just throwing that out there...I just find it sad, funny, weird.. that for some reason a grand piano had to be trashed. ☹️ Not saying you did something wrong...I believe you couldn't find a place that wanted it...I just never would have thought so is all. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you again to everyone, there is a lot of good advice and ideas. My sister is the Executor of my mother's estate so I have to run everything by her. 

Respected Contributor

@amyb , this does not surprise me.  You pretty much have to give a room up for a grand piano or half a room if you have large rooms.  I also find quality furniture (pieces build with hardwood frames, good quality upholstery, etc) are not valued.  We live in a 'disposable' society.

Sad to read about the piano.  My BIL has a baby grand.  He is musically trained.  If he were to dispose of it, I am sure it would be an issue.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  I know that this probably will not be well received, but many prisons (not county jails) are in need of books for inmates. Even the womens facilities. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 ,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. One of the biggest losses we will all face isn't it?!

As for finding a place for everything in yours and your mom's house, that is a tall order. Only you know if you want to deal with this step by step and day to day. It is also more difficult to get rid of things yourself during this pandemic.

I might have tried to sell things, give to family, donate, by doing it myself in the past (and have),

but recently my mother had to move from her house into assist living. We hired a moving/packing co, that also sell things that can be sold, donate others and yes throw what can't be given away. They can do it all.

They give you money from things that are sold.

There is a fee of course

so not inexpensive but so worth it if you or the estate has the money.

Now if it is doing this for an entire estate without moving, they will assess everything, sell what can be sold and take a percentage. I guess the same type thing like an auction (though i've never delt with an auction house).

It is different when you are doing this for your own stuff but when trying to find places for an entire household of our parents, it can be incredibly overwhelming.

I've done both. Found places like consignment shops, gave things to people who sell for you on ebay, donate, give and send to family across the country, (before the pandemic)

but more recently with our mother, used a company to do it all.

Because of this, I've always been very aware that I wouldn't want my kids to have to deal with too much stuff, especially things of value they wouldn't know where to sell or give.

But this would mean getting rid of most of our whole life's accumulations while alive so unfortunately to some extent, every family, children, relatives left living have to deal with this, as someone will for them. I guess part of the circle of life.

I just try to only keep things mostly that I still like or need, while not accumulating more and more and that makes it more manageable.  

And having gone through this several times, I also hope that any of us having to do this once or more times, can have someone to help, if only to be there for moral support. It is a difficult thing to go through, especially alone.

I hope it can be successful for you and something that goes as smoothly as possible. It is a great feeling when you know what you have accomplished, even if only a little every day.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Purple Heart will pick up my give aways tomorrow.  They will not accept big or heavy pieces of furniture, though.but Salvation Army will accept almost anything. I refuse to  donnate anything that isn't in good condition,.

Super Contributor

You might consider an estate sale. Keep the items you truly love and have the company deal with the sale of the rest.