Honored Contributor

Re: What To Bring To Thanksgiving Dinner by Sooner!

[ Edited ]

I don't understand the comments about aprons being unwanted and considered old fogey and outdated.

My daughter 34, one of her friends and a niece 41 all love aprons and have quite the collections.

Respected Contributor

I've never worn aprons, don't know why, just don't like them on me...there are a lot of pretty ones, though.

When we were hosting big family dinners, we learned to buy "takeout" containers, like restaurants use. Everyone loved them! The lids were attached, the insides were divided so they could make just one plate if they wanted and things didn't get mushed together, and my good Tupperware, etc. didn't disappear.

I've posted this before--my wonderful sisters-in-love made sure that after they left, the only thing I had to do was wash tablecloths! One SIL actually loves to hand-wash dishes, so she washed everything that couldn't go in the dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

I've never worn aprons, don't know why, just don't like them on me...there are a lot of pretty ones, though.

When we were hosting big family dinners, we learned to buy "takeout" containers, like restaurants use. Everyone loved them! The lids were attached, the insides were divided so they could make just one plate if they wanted and things didn't get mushed together, and my good Tupperware, etc. didn't disappear.

I've posted this before--my wonderful sisters-in-love made sure that after they left, the only thing I had to do was wash tablecloths! One SIL actually loves to hand-wash dishes, so she washed everything that couldn't go in the dishwasher.

@vermint That's my dream in-law family.  I have two of the most sour SIL's ever.  Fortunately haven't seen them in forever.  But how blessed you are!!!!!!!  My family was a lot of fun but they are gone now.

Honored Contributor

Don't bring an apron into my kitchen.  I don't want you to work.  I want you to stay out of my way.

I put appetizers in the dining room to get guests to hangout in there, and still some want to be in my kitchen.  My kitchen is too small....stay out.

Super Contributor

Be thankfull you have somewhere to go

Valued Contributor

@tansy wrote:

It seems presumptuous to bring your own container for leftovers unless you've been asked to do that. 

Oh boy, do I have a story.  I have digestive problems and cannot eat a large meal at Thanksgiving.  I was spending Thanksgiving at my sisters house one year.  I brought a single divider plate for myself to store whatever I couldn't eat on my plate instead of throwing away.

My brother in law overheard me say I had brought my own container and he hid the leftover turkey in the bedroom!  Later that evening my sis called and said she found it in there and wanted us to go back and get some!

Uh....No thanks it's been sitting out all day, probably spoiled by now.  She was stuck with it all because he was being greedy!

Honored Contributor

@Coastalcarolina wrote:

@tansy wrote:

It seems presumptuous to bring your own container for leftovers unless you've been asked to do that. 

Oh boy, do I have a story.  I have digestive problems and cannot eat a large meal at Thanksgiving.  I was spending Thanksgiving at my sisters house one year.  I brought a single divider plate for myself to store whatever I couldn't eat on my plate instead of throwing away.

My brother in law overheard me say I had brought my own container and he hid the leftover turkey in the bedroom!  Later that evening my sis called and said she found it in there and wanted us to go back and get some!

Uh....No thanks it's been sitting out all day, probably spoiled by now.  She was stuck with it all because he was being greedy!

I am telling this story next week when we are all filling up or containers!!  My family as such great humor and this one is going to tickle them big time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

We just ask what we can bring & we always bring cut flowers, European style, as well. my friend is an artist & did floral design at one time & enjoys doing her own arrangements.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@vermint That's my dream in-law family.  I have two of the most sour SIL's ever.  Fortunately haven't seen them in forever.  But how blessed you are!!!!!!!  My family was a lot of fun but they are gone now.

@Sooner I was very blessed to have wonderful in-laws, and they always treated me like one of their own. MIL & FIL are gone now (along with my own parents), and SILS don't live close by anymore, but we are still in frequent contact and visit each other occasionally. Even my own parents said I had good in-laws!

Honored Contributor

I bring what I am asked to bring--or I will bring fancy cookies or candy or something that will not interfer with the meal, maybe  flowers or ,  as with my brother who bbqs alot--I bring him some truffle salt or a bbq flavor to try. My SIL in gets a bar of fancy chocolate.