Esteemed Contributor

Re: What To Bring To Thanksgiving Dinner by Sooner!

@Sooner  I like the disposable storage containers idea. I always run out when sending home leftovers. Also, my kitchen is small, so everyone knows to stay out - except DD and DH.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner.  Your suggestion reminded me of a sad incident in my own family.

The Christmas before she died, my mom gifted my two nieces,  who were in early 20s, each with a cute apron (along with checks).  They made a huge joke of the aprons ridiculing them and really hurt mom's feelings.  I was thoroughly disgusted with the two of them and their incredible lack of manners.  This led me to assume aprons are out and considered to be passe'.  Tread carefully when gifting them or you might be considered an old foggy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Sooner Unless you're sure of the reception they'll get, I'd think twice about an apron! Also, I never let guests help me clean up. I have my own way of doing things and don't want help. Plus, I wait till company is gone and then do the dishes.

Who can't use more dish towels and pot holders! I know I never had enough.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Oh that's sad about the way your poor mother was treated. I would have loved a gift like that. Shame on them.

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner  I like the disposable storage containers idea. I always run out when sending home leftovers. Also, my kitchen is small, so everyone knows to stay out - except DD and DH.

It's a mess when you try to help in someone's kitchen.  Most have a system, and do not like anyone underfoot.

I'd skip the storage containers too. The host may not be willing to send anything home. He/she might feel obligated if you give containers. 

Honored Contributor

I hope the men are bringing all that stuff too and doing half of the work
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

The men in my family cook the turkey and the second meat which comes from the grill, steak.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I plan to bring my sister a collection of some great cat toys! I did that last year and she loved it! 

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Sooner Unless you're sure of the reception they'll get, I'd think twice about an apron! Also, I never let guests help me clean up. I have my own way of doing things and don't want help. Plus, I wait till company is gone and then do the dishes.

Who can't use more dish towels and pot holders! I know I never had enough.

@Love my grandkids Easy answer!  If they don't want you to help, just give them the NEW apron you brought and a few NEW dishtowels you brought!  Comply with the hosts wishes and enjoy the meal.