Honored Contributor

Re: What Temp Do You Wash Clothes?

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I only have one temp on my old washer that works and I think its cold...

beggers can't be choosy lol

I had the motor replaced in my old dryer 3 years ago and it works great! The repairman told me they only make appliances to last 10 years not like in the old days where they can last a long time.

Shoekitty said:  my dryer is over 30 years old.  It only has fluff or air and the warm temp for knits.  Works wonderful.  I am knocking on wood as I wrote that

Honored Contributor

I wash most clothing in cold; linens and towels and DH’s stinky gym clothes in warm. Nothing in hot. My water heater plenty hot for warm setting.
Honored Contributor

No -- I wash different things in different temps.  I wash bed linens, towels, under clothes in hot.  I wash dark clothing in cold for the most part.  Things which are questionable go in warm.  I used my own judgment for specific things.  I read lables and then still decide for myself.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My washer is very old. It has three settings, hot/cold, warm/cold, cold/cold.  I use warm/cold for everything. I don’t care what the clothes are made of. If something gets ruined (which it hasn’t) then I would throw the item away.

I just had to replace a machine like that but "it" decided how much hot you really needed in the mix so even if it was on hot/cold it was more like room temp/cold.

As much as I hated that one, I hate the new one even more.

@CelticCrafter  My washer is like that too and I don’t like it. We should be able to decide what temperature we want. I solved that problem by reaching behind the washer and turning off the cold faucet while it’s filling up. Then I get hot, which is what I want. I have to remember to turn it back on once it’s filled. Don’t like having to do this but it took care of the problem. 

Honored Contributor

Towels in hot, sheets in warm,whites mostly in hot, colored in warm,or cold depending on fabric,and color.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Cold water for most stuff. Retired...don't work in a coal mine any longer!!!

Today's products are formulated for cold water.

Wanna see something interesting? Look at your dishwashing liquid bottle.

NO WHERE does it say to use with HOT or WARM water.

That's becuase a LOT of detergents are sold in countries where hot water is a luxury.

I still wash dishes in HOT water though!!! I tried cold water and it bothers my hands more than anything else. 

I line dry clohtes 8 months of the year too, so the sunshine kills any lingering bacteria that may be there....BUT...I'm sure I get pollen and dust in return!!! I LOVE line dried sheets and towels!!!

MOST bacteria need  140 to 212 degree  F, water to die in the washer. You'd scald your skin off washing your hands if you kept the hot water that hot, plus waste a TON of energy and money!

Respected Contributor

Warm water with Lysol Laundry Sanitizer. 

Respected Contributor

I was looking at my dryer manual and it talks about fabric care labels and says for detergent to be effective the minimum temp is 61 f or 16 c

hot water is 106 to 126 f or 41 to 52 C

Warm water is 84 to 106F  or 29 to 41 C

Cold is 61 to 84 F  or 16 to 29 C

So I would say my hot is warm, my warm is cold and my cold is next to freezing maybe warmer in the summer 

Trusted Contributor

Towels and cotton undies are washed in the SaniWash setting on my machine. Everything else gets washed in warm wash/cool rinse. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Everything COLD, suits my personality.