Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Normal Expenses Do You Have That Seem Most Out-of-Line?

Medical insurance, although we pay a lot less than some folks. Years ago, we paid a fraction of what we pay now, and our children were on the policy then.  

Also home owners insurance, car insurance, those seem expensive considering we go years without filing claims, but I wouldn't be without them.

Cell phone service seems ridiculously high as well.

Honored Contributor

My monthly co-pays for prescription drugs. Insulin has doubled in price in the past few years. The pens, needles and test strips are expensive. The Repatha they want me to take is over $1100.00 a month. It's expensive to stay alive...

Honored Contributor

I just remembered. My DH was prescribed Breo and the price was through the roof like close to $200/mo. Someone told us to go online and print out a money saving coupon. We printed it out and took it to Walgreens yesterday and paid only $10. That coupon is good for one year but by then we will be on Medicare and have to see what they have to offer. I would advise anyone with high meds to check their website for money saving coupons. We did this morning for Proair and printed out a coupon for up to 75% off and will use it next month. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's necessary to trade in cars as often as people do .....   do the proper maintenance and keep it.  When in my 20's I realized there's nothing like driving a paid-for car and not having car payments.

My sister wanted to keep her landline, so she bought a Tracfone and likes that for her cell phone.

Personally, there are things I won't give up, so I cut corners with restaurant, entertainment and other optional expenses.  Everyone has different priorities and preferences.   

Respected Contributor

@redwingsgalwrote:

Totally agree, @Sooner.  When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was my cable/phone/internet monthly bill.  I do purchse the NHL and MLB packages on my cable bill, but even without those charges, our bill is ridiculous!!

@redwingsgal   Oh,  I'm thinking about treating myself to the MLB package this year so I can watch The YANKEES.  I'll have to see how much they charge for that!

Honored Contributor

All of the above.

As a widow, I can't get anyone in my house to make minor repairs for less than $1,000 a pop.

Luckily, I haven't had anything major!   Yet!

Among me & my kids, we've learned to make many minor repairs ourselves.

But I would gladly pay a reasonable price to anyone who can use the business.

All kinds of insurance is ridiculously high.    

I'm blessed to live in an area with relatively low utilities and property tax.

And I've been threatening to get rid of DirecTV and my Verizon MiFi ($180 total) in exchange for a cable bundle with TV, phone & Internet for around $100.

Introductory period = $29 plus tax, etc.

Honored Contributor

Insurances like cars and house.  We pay a lot of money every single month.  When I think of all the money we've paid over the course of just 5 years for insurances, it makes me want to puke.  And I know if we make one claim, our rates will either go up higher or we'll be dropped, despite the money they've gotten from us.

I'm also over buying things that are such junk.   It seems like we're lucky if appliances, etc. last 5-7 years without having to buy new.  Back in the day, things used to last much longer.

Don't even get me started on my car that barely has 41,000 miles on it.  I've put a lot of money into that car and now found out it's leaking oil which will be another $1,200.00 fix.     

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

My monthly co-pays for prescription drugs. Insulin has doubled in price in the past few years. The pens, needles and test strips are expensive. The Repatha they want me to take is over $1100.00 a month. It's expensive to stay alive...

My friends DH is a diabetic and she’s the one who told us about the coupon online. Her DH gets some of his diabetic supplies for a fraction of the cost. Maybe worth a try? 

Respected Contributor

Great topic. Since going on Medicare my rxs have skyrocketed. One drug is $900 for 90 days, another $400etc. I take medical marijuana $375 monthly.

I also agree re cable. We have the second cheapest package, phone, internet, cable and it’s almost $180 monthly.

Truly drug prices are unconscionable.

Respected Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@Alison Wonderland  thank you, I am a prime member. I am paying nearly $500 a year for nexium  alone

It's crazy! I was paying over $600/year for one of my OTC meds and with Subscribe and Save, it's under $350/year.