Honored Contributor

Re: What Normal Expenses Do You Have That Seem Most Out-of-Line?

I haven't read all the replies but I have to agree that after health costs ..... my health insurance is over $900.00 a month just for me (I will be eligible for Medicare in another year) is communications.  Why does our cell, TV and Internet have to cost so much?!

I really feel like we're being taken advantage of by Verizon.  However the alternative options aren't any better.

Honored Contributor

@aggravatedwrote:

Our property taxes are out-of-sight.  While not raising the percentage of the tax this year, value was added again to the house.  Higher.  Ours is about $9,000 per year now.

And let me mention our trash service.  We are not included in the part of the municipality that includes this as part of our paid taxes.  The cost is outrageous and climbs annually.

Our property taxes are close to 8k a year and trash collection isn't covered either!  It's extra which I think is ridiculous! ...not to mention it's high time that they pave the streets in my neighborhood.

For us a lot of those taxes cover the cost of teacher salaries.  At one time my local school district had the highest teacher salaries in the state...not sure if that's still true but they are up there.

When I found out the teacher salaries for my local elementary school a few years ago most of those teachers were all making over 100K a year.  So not all teachers are poorly paid which many seem to believe to be across the board.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the many posters here who think their cable bills are outrageous. I am old enough to remember when TV was free, and we survived with just a few channels. While we enjoy having more choices than we had 50 years ago, we watch the same few channels over and over. Yet, the way they package things, we are stuck with channels we don’t want. I really wish we could individually select channels. 

I also agree with the cost of medicines. Even with insurance my daily meds are expensive. My blood infusions were approximately $15,000 a month when I was taking them last year. My niece’s current treatments are $20,000 twice a month. How is that possible?