Honored Contributor

Re: What Kind Of Gift Giver Are You ?

I try to put a lot of thought into a gift.  The old saying is - it's the thought that counts, but I know we've all gotten gifts from people that we have thought --- What were they thinking???  And this is not in a good way!  LOL!  Unless I really know someone well and feel I know their likes and tastes, I do not buy a gift.  I will instead give a gift card or cash. I think of how many times I have gotten gifts that I have had no use for at all and really didn't like at all and did not want to hurt the person's feelings, but I thought --- I feel bad because they have wasted their money!  Some say it's not personal to give gift cards or cash, but I don't think so.  I think it's very thoughtful to do this, as opposed to just buying something - anything - not knowing if the person will like it or have any use for it! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I like to give unusual gifts.  I only give gifts to family and at holiday time, gifts to neighbors in our condominium.  QVC was great for unusual holiday items but not any longer.   I also love to buy little outfits and dresses for the newborn in our family who happens to be our only baby.  I'm also a spontaneous gift giver.  For gifts like showers, I go to the registry.  I like quality and for special occasions, memorable.   I hate to give money but am forced to do so like at weddings. 

Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I try to pick things the recipient would like, not what I like. I notice a lot of people buy things that they like for others.

@JJsMom , this is so true.  I thought I was the only one who though that!  

I stopped giving guessing with gifts.  I usually give money for occasions and let people buy what they like.  Never had that gift returned!  S

Honored Contributor

Since my circle of family/friends does not include any young children we have stopped giving Christmas presents...the only exception is a donation to the recipients favorite charity....

However, I do like sending out spontaneous special snail mail "Thank You" cards or sometimes I'll send an E-Gift Card to let someone know I love them and appreciate their friendship... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The older I get, the more I lean towards consumable things, or practical gifts. We have scaled back those that are in our gifting circle, and each person is someone I know very well, and I know I don't miss the mark on gifting very often. 

All the people I gift at this time are either in the same stage of life I am (have too much 'stuff' and don't need things that aren't useful or used up.....or they are very young and starting out and need a lot of things so pinpointing what they need or want is pretty easy).

Price doesn't matter to me in gifting, it's more about getting the right thing, even if it costs significantly more. I'd rather give (or receive) fewer things, and they be exactly what I need/want and of high quality, than a pile of cheaper/not needed things. 

Honored Contributor

I am a very bland gift giver.  I long ago learned the hard way not to try to be creative or do something different.  I have had some real flops in my gift giving lifetime.  

I buy only what I know someone really wants.  Nothing else, or a gift card or certificate.  If I know they like something, I'll get them that.  I long ago learned not to go outside the box.  What was I thinking?

My motto is the best gift is the safe and boring one!  Woman Embarassed

Trusted Contributor

Every now and then you see an exceptional human being that deserves a gift and being an anonymous gift (of money) is pure bliss because they don't have to feel weird about it and they don't have to feel beholden or that there's strings attached.  A very special person will get a secret santa from me and I can't wait.  He's a doctor.  One might think a doctor wouldn't need money but you'd be wrong especially about this one - a generous and gifted physician who donates his time and services. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our family has cut way back on gifts, we all have too much STUFF.  We prefer time away, a nice dinner out, etc.  I do, hoverever, like to surprise gift someone not expecting it.  Small Gift card or cash, to a server, a store worker, neighbor, or someone in my life that has just been nice.  

Some small random acts of kindness, you never know that someone may just need a little kindness.  Doesn’t have to be expensive.  

Once I sent a Christmas candy bar with my transaction, in the bank drive though.  The person sent it back, so this person didn’t seem to want it.  Oh well.  Was just trying to make someone smile.  

QVC and their gift closet suggestions are just a little over the top.  

Its quite comical some days.