Honored Contributor

Re: What Kind Of Gift Giver Are You ?

I love buying gifts for other people! I always think about the person, and their likes, and their personality when purchasing gifts......I think you can tell when someone really thinks about, and takes the time to choose something really special......

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For parents - generous 

For friends/acquaintances - non obligatory (I give something fun but not so much that they feel like they need to reciprocate)

Respected Contributor

I'm pretty much a non-gift giver. Our family decided long ago that we would all be delighted to stop the practice. We may treat each other to a meal out to celebrate a birthday, but that's it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

We don't give too many gifts anymore.  When we do it's generally a gift card.  I feel people know what they need and like more than we do.  At times I do pick up something that strikes me for my adult kids and maybe a very close friend but that's all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We don't really do that many gifts anymore. We don't exchange Christmas gifts either. When we did more gift giving I tried really hard to give something the person really wanted or needed. It was very stressful at times finding the perfect gift. 

We like to give our nieces and nephews money for their birthdays. That way they can buy what they want or put it toward something they're saving up for later. I know some people think giving money is tacky, but I've yet to have any of them return the check. 😉

I like to give friends and family home baked goods from time to time. I always do it for Christmas, but also other times throughout the year. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cactusgal wrote:

@hckynut:

tenor.gif Woman LOL

@cactusgal ,

I love it!

hckynut  🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I love buying gifts for other people! I always think about the person, and their likes, and their personality when purchasing gifts......I think you can tell when someone really thinks about, and takes the time to choose something really special......

I am much like you, I enjoy buying gifts and I think long and carefully about a gift unless I see something that just speaks to me (those are rare but a welcome surprise)  Thus I am always keeping my eyes open in case I see something because you never know.

Respected Contributor

I buy very few gifts anymore...DH & Dad at Christmas/birthday, Father's Day. The only others are shower/wedding gifts, and those I choose from their registry.

Honored Contributor

@Abby1967 wrote:

What Kind Of Gift Giver Are You ?

I love to give the person something I know they really want or need.

@Abby1967 

When appropriate, I like giving an experience .... gift certificate for a new restaurant, concert tickets, etc. 

Depends on the recipient, too. 

My sister LOVES getting a gift card because then she gets "the thrill of the hunt" using someone else's money.  How can you beat that?      

Honored Contributor

I like to give gifts more than receive them. I can spend more time choosing a gift than I should, I buy something I would like to receive, I put a lot of thought into it and don't buy any old thing. Don't get me started on buying cards for any occasion, I have to read every one there. I don't know why I do it, most people throw the card in the trash after a day.