Honored Contributor

Re: What Is the Most Unusual Food That You Have Eaten?

[ Edited ]

Rattlesnake & horse testicles.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

Vegemite - It was absolutely awful!

@IlliniGirl88.  Ugh, horrible! My sister lives in Australia and brought some over one year. Terrible! 

Tried a a small bite of Haggis in Scotland. Pretty bad.

@proudlyfromNJ  -  LOL!!!  Remember in biology class when you had to do a dissection?  Vegemite reminds me of that black gelantinous stuff in the bottom of the dissecting pan!Woman LOL  I guess it's the color, but vegemite is the most absolute grossest "food" ever!

Esteemed Contributor

As others have stated, I'm NOT an adventurous either when it comes to trying new things.  Heck, there are many things that people eat here in the U.S. every day that would be considered "normal" that I'd never put in my mouth even if you paid me.  Growing up, I did eat (cow) heart.  It was cut like a round or cubed steak and mom would fry it and make mashed potatoes and gravy.  I ate it until I discovered what it really was.  Not too unusual (but it is for me) was a venison roast that was cooked a long time with pototoes and carrots.  I didn't know what it was but I knew it wasn't beef as the texture was far different.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I am not an adventerous eater.  Never have been, never will be.  I don't eat anything unusual but being from New England I do love fried clams and fried oysters and lobters.  Some people from other parts of the country think of those things as unusual.  

Lobster isn’t unusual, it’s just food of the gods.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

snails...gross

Esteemed Contributor

I had no problem answering this question. Having gone to France over 20 times, adoring their cuisine and speaking their language, I tried foods that I would never eat in the US. Of course I’ve eaten escargots, i.e., snails, but the most unusual food I ate was cou farci. Cou means neck, whether duck or goose. Farci means stuffed, so I ate a stuffed neck. That sounds repulsive but the stuffing was fantastic and I found cou farci to be delicious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two unusual things I've eaten that come to mind:

(1)  Rooster fries - when I was traveling for work, in Tennessee or Mississippi.  Our hosts told us they were testicles - after we'd eaten them of course.  As I recall, they also had frog legs on the appetizer tray.

(2)  Balut - in the Philippines.  It's a hard-boiled fertilized duck egg.  It's served in the shell.  You remove the shell, suck the juice out, and bite right in.  Best eaten after a few drinks of Lambanog, a Filipino wine that's 80 proof.  I took one big bite and saw the little duck and that was enough.

Regular Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Two unusual things I've eaten that come to mind:

(1)  Rooster fries - when I was traveling for work, in Tennessee or Mississippi.  Our hosts told us they were testicles - after we'd eaten them of course.  As I recall, they also had frog legs on the appetizer tray.

(2)  Balut - in the Philippines.  It's a hard-boiled fertilized duck egg.  It's served in the shell.  You remove the shell, suck the juice out, and bite right in.  Best eaten after a few drinks of Lambanog, a Filipino wine that's 80 proof.  I took one big bite and saw the little duck and that was enough.

That would bother me, if somebody served me something like that and waited til after eating to tell me. 

Esteemed Contributor

My own cooking.

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant

OMG!  I can't even imagine.  So do you eat sushi now?