Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Is the Most Unusual Food That You Have Eaten?

Pigs stomach -my PA Dutch Nana used to make and then it had potatoes and meat like sausage inside. Id NEVER eat it now. ANd I don't eat sausage anymore. (eat very little meat now but i do eat some meat).

Next I always wanted to try sushi. Well it was the worst thing I ever put in my mouth (along w Doritos's and beer. lol)  I spit the sushi in my napkin.

Also ate lamb once because I had a Greek BIL in my first marriage. it was OK, but I never ate it again.

Also had deer meat 2X. My in laws are hunters. Wont eat deer again.

I also have tried many vegan fake meats lately b.c 2 grandkids turned vegan and 1 grandkid and my daughter turned vegetarian. Ive liked every vegan fake meat except the burgers. Ive had fake chicken, fake meatballs, turkey, even vegan Chinese food. Loved them all but not the vegan burgers.

Those are all not really unusual but as unusual as I get. lol. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buffalo-   smokey taste

frog legs-  really good.  Tastes like chicken but a little gamey

escargot-  cooked in garlic and  butter is very good  but a little tough

Muscles- very good, kinda chewy.  I only can eat them  whole. if I cut them up and look at  the insides it groses me out. Tastes great in mariana sauce

squid tenticles stirr fried. Tastes like parcely.  Did not like it

Calamari-  tastes great if cooked right.  I had it breaded and deep fried

deer-  deer meat balls and roasts.  Tasts good only if you know what you are doing.

Trusted Contributor

I love trying different foods, but I don't have a sophisticated palate for spices.  I don't have any palate at all for hot foods.  I don't even use salt or pepper at the table.

Many years ago, I was trying Sushi for the first time.  It  was a lovely display, and had an attractive, fluffy green little mound of something on the wooden plate.  I popped the whole thing in my mouth.

I have never forgotten this.

Honored Contributor

lambs heads........

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I am not adventurous at all. I am so impressed with all of you willing to try different things. I wish I could, but no way. 

Trusted Contributor

Goat, venison, rabbit, lamb, gator, frog legs, eel, escargot, raw oysters, raw clams, all kinds of sushi, sweet breads, tripe, tongue, bison, shark, and chocolate covered crickets!

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I like to think of myself as an adventurous eater.

I mean, there is more to life than just hamburgers and french fries.

I have tried to cook tongue and sweetbreads, which is not bread, or sweet. It's organs such as liver, kidney, etc.

My mom was the cook in the family.

I'm nowhere near the cook that she was. She could cook anything!

I miss her cooking.

Anyway, my attempt at cooking the sweetbreads and tongue didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but I would be willing to try them again in a restaurant.

I have had bison, venison, fish head soup, just to name a few.

I still want to try testicles, snake, squab, kangaroo burger, amoung others.

I just ordered pheasant and quail, which will also be a first for me.

Oh, and I have also tried and liked escargot.

So, what is the most unusual thing that you have eaten?

I had turtle soup once in London.  I didn't find out until afterwards what it was.

I've had caviar many times.  I don't think it's all that unusual or strange, but I see that others here have mentioned it.  Sushi too.  I love both.

Esteemed Contributor

I lived and travelled in the Orient and had many unusual things to eat, many good and some, not so much.  Drank Habu Sake (snake pickled in sake).  Was offered (but declined) Moose Nose and Bear Paw.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Octopus, lamb fries, squirrel, frog legs, liver, love raw oysters, ox tail, beef tongue, turtle, but I draw the line at escargot.  Don't think I could get one down. 

Perhaps the worse thing I ever tried was Vegemite.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not an adventurous eater at all and there are many NORMAL foods I've NEVER tried.

As for the most unusual I have tried?  Probably Raw Oysters (back in the happy hour on Thursday night days) and Escargot- snails.

Neither of which I would eat now.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?