Honored Contributor

Re: What Is the Most Unusual Food That You Have Eaten?

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

Vegemite - It was absolutely awful!

@IlliniGirl88.  Ugh, horrible! My sister lives in Australia and brought some over one year. Terrible! 

Tried a a small bite of Haggis in Scotland. Pretty bad.

Valued Contributor

Was fed horse meat at a cook out.   Unbeknownst to me.  I was sick to my stomach the whole way home to the next state. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

I've eaten many of your typical game birds, as well as venison.   Never had anything I didn't like.  Pickled pigs feet and other parts of the pig, cracklins

it's not that unusual but unusual for my taste is raw oysters.

I don't do it anymore, now I eat them steamed or fried.   But I used to eat them right out of the water, right out of the shell and down the hatch!!

@Plaid Pants2

Esteemed Contributor

There are all these foods out there that I would just love to try!

Being of Scottish decent, it is my life's goal to try haggis.

When i was in Ireland back in 2002, I had black and white pudding.

It's not like a pudding in the Jello sense, but it has a different consistency.

At the time, I thought it was a sausage patty.

Let's just say that it tasted nothing like a sausage patty.

Of course, at the time I didn't realize that it was a black and white pudding.

Once I found out what it was that I had eaten (long after I had returned home from my trip) I was not grossed out by it.

Honored Contributor

I like trying new foods especially in a foreign land. I must admit that if it was alive, I would think twice as a moving insect. I would try a fried insect lol,

I have eaten pig's tongue, cow brains, tripe, sea urchin, escargot Ilove it), thousand year old egg, gator, quail, frog legs, chicken gizzards, pate.

I love some items that based on threads in the past disgust some. Oysters and clams on the half shell. People wee grossed out by the slimey texture.

Trusted Contributor

OOOHHH! I have had gator and LOVED IT!

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I like trying new foods especially in a foreign land. I must admit that if it was alive, I would think twice as a moving insect. I would try a fried insect lol,

I have eaten pig's tongue, cow brains, tripe, sea urchin, escargot Ilove it), thousand year old egg, gator, quail, frog legs, chicken gizzards, pate.

I love some items that based on threads in the past disgust some. Oysters and clams on the half shell. People wee grossed out by the slimey texture.

I love fried clams but have no desire for them any other way, or oysters in any form. I did try raw oysters, and felt they both looked and tasted like what you have a lot of when you have a cold. Never again. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Rabbit brains in some sort of tomato based sauce at a Moroccan restaurant.  Everyone at the table had a little nibble just so we could say that we ate it, but it's not something I'd ever want a fulling helping of!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a very picky eater...not really by choice either. I have tried so many times to expand on my relatively short list of foods I enjoy. I usually wind up gagging even if I plug my nose.

I always envied those on food-type of programs like Andrew Zimmern on the Bizzare Food show...or chefs that HAVE to taste everything of coarse to make sure the recipe/meal/entree is right.

There must be something about an individual's tongue that determines the extent each person enjoys foods/types/flovors/spices/etc. Some folks can eat almost anything.

For example, I can't eat very spicy foods...and others can eat very hot and spicy food without an issue or hesitation.

I also can't handle sour foods...which makes it difficult to eat lots of Asian foods. I can't even enjoy a Jolly Rancher sour apple or cherry candy. I feel like I do miss out on a lot of things, but I gave up trying...LOL

So, to answer your question, I would have to say a Buffalo burger in Montana when we were on vacation several yrs ago. Before that, it would be horse meat in the early 70's when times were tough and my folks didn't tell my sister or me until after dinner that we ate horse meat burgers!

The most unusual food I remember anyone ate in our family was chocolate covered grasshoppers...and that was my step mother. She was also one of the lucky folks who could eat anything too Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I love raw oysters!