Respected Contributor

Re: 🚧❓What Is a Troll, and What Is Internet Trolling?

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago I posted on a thread that a troll tried to take off topic and stir up personal attacks. Their post was completely ignored, they slunk off, and the thread continued. A victory at least this one time.

Honored Contributor

I would certainly not call every person who makes rude or sarcastic remarks at any given time a troll, and that isn't the definition of a troll as understood by most, Urban Dictionary notwithstanding.

I also wouldn't call every poster with strong opinions that some might consider outrageous a troll. That's too easy.  However - if you note that every time, or almost every time, you see a post by a particular person it's in a thread with a controversial subject, and that person *always* says something almost directly opposite to the prevailing discussion and states it bluntly and rudely, hoping people will respond with anger - now you're on to something.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@ChazzyLady wrote:

Thanks so much for this @newziesuzie. While reading this what readily came to my mind are all of the truly hateful and nasty comments posted online in response to the truly horrific death of the little two year old boy who was snatched by an alligator at the Disney property in Orlando.  The amount of judgement, finger wagging, and general lack of compassion towards the parents who are going through a living nightmare is mind boggling to me.

The word that jumped out for me in what you posted is cowardly.  How many of these "perfect" people would publicly confront the parents and spew the garbage they feel justified in saying anonymously?  Not many if any I think.

Again, thanks for this.

Amen!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I've experience trolls almost on a daily basis on fb, especially this election year. People seem to get their jollies by making up fake profiles and posting nonsense.  

I wonder sometimes if people here on these very boards are trolls, especially the ones who start threads and don't come back to them, it's like they sit back and watch the action.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@mstyrion 1, just a little off topic here.  I just wanted to say you have the cutest avatar!

thank you @geezerette.

I have a pure black kitty and sometimes all yu can see are her great big EYES!   Woman LOL

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

I would certainly not call every person who makes rude or sarcastic remarks at any given time a troll, and that isn't the definition of a troll as understood by most, Urban Dictionary notwithstanding.

I also wouldn't call every poster with strong opinions that some might consider outrageous a troll. That's too easy.  However - if you note that every time, or almost every time, you see a post by a particular person it's in a thread with a controversial subject, and that person *always* says something almost directly opposite to the prevailing discussion and states it bluntly and rudely, hoping people will respond with anger - now you're on to something.

I'm not arguing but I took the definition to mean people who post rude or sarcastic remarks for the purpose of being nasty on the net ~ not that everybody who's blunt is a troll. Probably a fine distinction. It's what the goal is imho. I think trolls come with the goal of looking to disrupt and set fires and then watch and laugh when other people get upset or hurt or angry. Weird personalities who enjoy such things.

Super Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I've experience trolls almost on a daily basis on fb, especially this election year. People seem to get their jollies by making up fake profiles and posting nonsense.  

I wonder sometimes if people here on these very boards are trolls, especially the ones who start threads and don't come back to them, it's like they sit back and watch the action.

I think some posters use the hearts instead of coming back with more posts. Which is ok by me. Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

@AuberriJean wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I'm not arguing but I took the definition to mean people who post rude or sarcastic remarks for the purpose of being nasty on the net ~ not that everybody who's blunt is a troll. Probably a fine distinction. It's what the goal is imho. I think trolls come with the goal of looking to disrupt and set fires and then watch and laugh when other people get upset or hurt or angry. Weird personalities who enjoy such things.

Oh, I agree. I just felt that first paragraph was too generally stated. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I agree identifying and then ignoring

and passing it by is key! 👍

Thanks for posting @iceRedfire @ChazzyLady @Preds

@catwhisperer @hckynut @mstyrion 1 

@geezerette @Noel7 @SunValley @Moonchilde

@itiswhatitis @JaneMarple @AuberriJean

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

I agree identifying and then ignoring

and passing it by is key! 👍

Thanks for posting @iceRedfire@ChazzyLady @Preds@catwhisperer @hckynut@geezerette @Noel7 @SunValley

@newziesuzie

You're welcome. Glad you agree. While I like most of the threads you start, I never read anything that is more than a 1 paragraph Copy/Paste. I prefer people/threads and posts that use their own words.

Thanks for sending a notification with a reply. I will "identify/ignore and then bypass what appears to be an interesting thread title to me, but ends up being what someone other than you "newziesuzie", wrote not a Copy/Paste.

Weekend?  Enjoy.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)