Regular Contributor

Re: 🚧❓What Is a Troll, and What Is Internet Trolling?

@Moonchilde wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Very interesting article. I believe a troll is someone who intentionally disrupts and derails threads simply because they know know that people will react to them negatively. I'm not talking about differences of opinion but blatant nastiness and intolerance towards most posters on a thread. I don't see trolling as a personal attack upon a single person, that's a whole different issue, but upon the thread as a whole. Inthe best of all possible worlds the posters on a thread that is being trolled will simply ignore the troll but there are always some that feel it's their duty to respond to the troll. I call these co-trolls as they give the troll what they want and ensure the threat is derailed.

Absolutely. There's nothing that can be done about the people who consistently respond to trolls, out of anger or, more usually, ignorance. And some people, even when told about the situation, will ignore advice and keep on posting. Their right of course, but *responses* are what keep a troll going.

Really good points @reiki604 & @Moonchilde.

"Co-trolls" lol!  They enable trolls. 

Respected Contributor

Re: 🚧❓What Is a Troll, and What Is Internet Trolling?

@iceRedfire wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Very interesting article. I believe a troll is someone who intentionally disrupts and derails threads simply because they know know that people will react to them negatively. I'm not talking about differences of opinion but blatant nastiness and intolerance towards most posters on a thread. I don't see trolling as a personal attack upon a single person, that's a whole different issue, but upon the thread as a whole. Inthe best of all possible worlds the posters on a thread that is being trolled will simply ignore the troll but there are always some that feel it's their duty to respond to the troll. I call these co-trolls as they give the troll what they want and ensure the threat is derailed.

Absolutely. There's nothing that can be done about the people who consistently respond to trolls, out of anger or, more usually, ignorance. And some people, even when told about the situation, will ignore advice and keep on posting. Their right of course, but *responses* are what keep a troll going.

Really good points @reiki604 & @Moonchilde.

"Co-trolls" lol!  They enable trolls. 

Yes! Good insight @reiki604 and @Moonchilde and 

@iceRedfire, maybe we need to add

"co-trolls" to the vocabulary of the internet lol!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••