Honored Contributor

Re: 🚧❓What Is a Troll, and What Is Internet Trolling?

Hi there Ms. @newziesuzie  Smiley Happy

Just wanted to say hello and let you know that I always appreciate the topics you begin.   So, thank you!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi there Ms. @newziesuzie  Smiley Happy

Just wanted to say hello and let you know that I always appreciate the topics you begin.   So, thank you!

Hi there @Noel7! 😊

Hello and thanks!

I wish more posters would start

new threads,I don't always have much time to

post here but I enjoy reading all the

conversations.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

(Summary from netforbeginners.about.com)

January 2016

An internet 'troll' is an abusive or obnoxious user who lives to get a rise out of others online. Trolls use shock value to promote arguments. Stir up drama and abuse their online anonymity by purposely sowing hatred, bigotry, racism, mysogyny, or just simple bickering between others. Trolls are malicious users who want to set an online community on fire with discord.

1. Are immune to criticism and logical arguments. Cannot be reasoned with, regardless of how sound your logical argument is.

2. Do not feel remorse. Have sociopathic tendencies, and accordingly delight in other people having hurt feelings.

3. Consider themselves above and separate from the social order.

4. Do not abide by etiquette or the rules of common courtesy.

5. Consider themselves above social responsibility.

6. Gain energy when you insult them.

7. Gain energy when you get angry.

8. The only way to deal with a troll is to ignore him/her, or take away his/her ability to post online.

Identifying techniques, patterns:

1. They repeated abusive and hurtful comments directed at a specific person (aka "flaming" another person).

2. Incite arguments and provoke angry responses by making controversial statements. They post passive-aggressive "baiting" to stir up predictable controversy. (e.g. racism, religious intolerance, bigoted or elitist views, mysogyny, extreme political views).

3. Narcissistically dominate conversations, trying to make themselves the center of attention.

4. Posting off-topic remarks seeking to derail users from the focus of an online community or conversation.

Why Do People Enjoy Being Internet Trolls?

It is a power rush or ego trip to be a troll. Being online is a place that is largely free of perceived consequences... an insecure person can get a sense of power online, without ever having to face someone directly. With the Internet being a world of imagination and fantasy for some, cowardly users can forge an alter ego for themselves, and act out their feelings of anger and inadequacy. It's sad and unfortunate that our advanced communications also brings out the darker side of many people.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's simpler than the article, not that the article is not correct, because it covers almost everything.

I think when an individual or a group of individuals targets certain posters all the time, always with negative, insulting remarks . . . never a good word to say . . . are trolls.

I've had my share of them, and was very hurt in the beginning . . . years ago.  Now I mostly ignore them.  Fortunately, with the new surveillance here on this BB, "trollism" has been pretty much vanquished.

It's still here, but more subtle and easier to ignore.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I think it's simpler than the article, not that the article is not correct, because it covers almost everything.

I think when an individual or a group of individuals targets certain posters all the time, always with negative, insulting remarks . . . never a good word to say . . . are trolls.

I've had my share of them, and was very hurt in the beginning . . . years ago.  Now I mostly ignore them.  Fortunately, with the new surveillance here on this BB, "trollism" has been pretty much vanquished.

It's still here, but more subtle and easier to ignore.

I've only been here for a very short time and trolling appears to be in abundance.   

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

A new poster who has anywhere from 1-20 posts under their belt, especially noticeable at 1-5, who makes their first few posts as a "newbie" that are very sarcastic and very rude - deliberately so.  This is someone who doesn't even attempt to disguise their purpose.

No, not all new posters are trolls. But not all new posters are "new", either, as is well known. You'd think they'd at least make a half-arthed attempt at pretending to be a genuinely new poster, but no - trolling right out of the box. This is NOT a tender newbie who should be caring how they come across when just arriving.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Very interesting article. I believe a troll is someone who intentionally disrupts and derails threads simply because they know know that people will react to them negatively. I'm not talking about differences of opinion but blatant nastiness and intolerance towards most posters on a thread. I don't see trolling as a personal attack upon a single person, that's a whole different issue, but upon the thread as a whole. Inthe best of all possible worlds the posters on a thread that is being trolled will simply ignore the troll but there are always some that feel it's their duty to respond to the troll. I call these co-trolls as they give the troll what they want and ensure the threat is derailed.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Very interesting article. I believe a troll is someone who intentionally disrupts and derails threads simply because they know know that people will react to them negatively. I'm not talking about differences of opinion but blatant nastiness and intolerance towards most posters on a thread. I don't see trolling as a personal attack upon a single person, that's a whole different issue, but upon the thread as a whole. Inthe best of all possible worlds the posters on a thread that is being trolled will simply ignore the troll but there are always some that feel it's their duty to respond to the troll. I call these co-trolls as they give the troll what they want and ensure the threat is derailed.

Absolutely. There's nothing that can be done about the people who consistently respond to trolls, out of anger or, more usually, ignorance. And some people, even when told about the situation, will ignore advice and keep on posting. Their right of course, but *responses* are what keep a troll going.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I just read the entire thread.

There is a wee bit of irony in some of the posts.Winking Face on Samsung Galaxy S7

Respected Contributor

@charvale wrote:

(Summary from netforbeginners.about.com)

January 2016

An internet 'troll' is an abusive or obnoxious user who lives to get a rise out of others online. Trolls use shock value to promote arguments. Stir up drama and abuse their online anonymity by purposely sowing hatred, bigotry, racism, mysogyny, or just simple bickering between others. Trolls are malicious users who want to set an online community on fire with discord.

1. Are immune to criticism and logical arguments. Cannot be reasoned with, regardless of how sound your logical argument is.

2. Do not feel remorse. Have sociopathic tendencies, and accordingly delight in other people having hurt feelings.

3. Consider themselves above and separate from the social order.

4. Do not abide by etiquette or the rules of common courtesy.

5. Consider themselves above social responsibility.

6. Gain energy when you insult them.

7. Gain energy when you get angry.

8. The only way to deal with a troll is to ignore him/her, or take away his/her ability to post online.

Identifying techniques, patterns:

1. They repeated abusive and hurtful comments directed at a specific person (aka "flaming" another person).

2. Incite arguments and provoke angry responses by making controversial statements. They post passive-aggressive "baiting" to stir up predictable controversy. (e.g. racism, religious intolerance, bigoted or elitist views, mysogyny, extreme political views).

3. Narcissistically dominate conversations, trying to make themselves the center of attention.

4. Posting off-topic remarks seeking to derail users from the focus of an online community or conversation.

Why Do People Enjoy Being Internet Trolls?

It is a power rush or ego trip to be a troll. Being online is a place that is largely free of perceived consequences... an insecure person can get a sense of power online, without ever having to face someone directly. With the Internet being a world of imagination and fantasy for some, cowardly users can forge an alter ego for themselves, and act out their feelings of anger and inadequacy. It's sad and unfortunate that our advanced communications also brings out the darker side of many people.

This is very helpful!

Thanks for posting it @charvale.

😊👍😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••