Honored Contributor

Re: ••What Is Your Interpretation Of This "Perception" Quote?••

It's based on the psychological defense of "projection," where we can project onto others the issues we see in ourselves.

It's become trite and overdone.  For example, if we come into contact with someone we immediately don't trust, we're probably right and it has nothing to do with who we are.  The guy at the bar with weird eyes who asks for your phone number, it's not projection.  The woman who asks personal questions and gives you a weird feeling, it's not you.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie wrote:

Perception

I do believe this.  Thanks for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

It makes perfect sense to me.  We judge other people’s actions/reactions based on our own experiences.  For instance, my old boss was very distrustful of everyone.  He always assumed that people did nice things for nefarious reasons, because he did.  He saw people through his own tainted lens, as we all do.  Two people will view the same person or experience in totally different ways.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

One of the reasons there are so many disappointments in relationships (male and female) is that we DO tend to project ourselves (sometimes a little, sometimes too much) onto others and when they do not live up to what we expect, we're disappointed.... but I really do believe that if we keep open minds about others and try to train ourselves to be open to our expectations.... we are disappointed far less.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like this better than the quote...so true, although we do need to have healthy, realistic expectations in all relationships!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the posts!  I don't think there's a wrong or right answer and you are all interesting!

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••