Esteemed Contributor

~ What Is Wrong With Me? Lately, I Cry Over Everything That Is Sad ~

A child is missing or beaten, dogs and cats are abused, cows and pigs are treated cruelly, a lady lost her husband, or a man lost his wife (people I don't even know), a plane crash ~ I could go on and on. I've always been a softie (I remember crying all night when Princess Diana was killed), but lately it seems everything causes me to tear up and actually cry a lot of the time. It feels as though I'm affected 50 times worse than I used to be. I'm not depressed, I'm in perfect health (as much as you can be at 69), I have everything to be thankful for, but I am heartbroken with so much of what I see out in the real world. Sometimes I think that maybe it's just that there's so much horrible stuff going on in the world these days and it is simply overwhelming and unbelievable.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Frequent Contributor

Re: ~ What Is Wrong With Me? Lately, I Cry Over Everything That Is Sad ~

Twopeas, try and stay away from the news for awhile and only watch some light hearted comedy on TV. Exercise/hobbies are a good way to get your body and mind going too rather than look at the negative in life. Winter time does get in the way too, a depressing time of year being cooped up.

Honored Contributor

You'll feel much better by not watching the news for a couple of weeks. Then, slowly begin to watch again, not more than once a day........or maybe just skim the daily newspaper, looking for interesting and light-hearted articles.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

You're just more sensitive than you realized, hormones can wreak havoc with your emotions, and we're all way more exposed to both good and bad news than ever before. There is, unfortunately, a constant assault on our senses

You'll be OK, but try not to let your 'need to know' defeat your attempts to remain balanced. In every way.

I'm a born HSP (Highly Sensitive Person), and I've had to learn to somewhat repress my natural instinctual curiosity, love of learning, and staying relevant myself. And always try to remember that there's much more goodness in this world than evil.

Esteemed Contributor

I think we become more emotionally fragile as we grow older. When we are younger, our hearts and minds are consumed with the business of living, raising a family, etc.

It's as if our "stop and smell the roses" time is also a stop and feel the pain time.

((((((((((twopeas))))))))))

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

You could have PBA.
Super Contributor

You said you aren't depressed but what you're describing is a big symptom of depression. I tried to get off my depression meds a few years ago, and the crying at the drop of a hat came like waves. I went back on depression meds and have no problems now.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with ilovedaisies....there is a difference between just being depressed about something and actual clinical depression. Crying so easily and so much is definitely a symptom of clinical depression, especially when you can't really put your finger on why it's happening. Medication can help --- please talk to your doctor.

Respected Contributor

I know what you're talking about. I have to proactively keep my hormones balanced , get some regular sunshine, listen to pleasant and soothing music, avoid negative people, have some daily good laughs, limit hearing bad news stories, live with uplifting color, etc etc.
Honored Contributor

~ What Is Wrong With Me? Lately, I Cry Over Everything That Is Sad ~

Maybe you are watching or reading too many things that are about negative or sad things. When it comes to TV shows I Hopper/DVR every single show I watch. I do not watch any show live anymore. When they get to the "animal cruelty commercials" I do a 300x flyby so I don't see or hear any of it.

Same with news programs I watch. If it looks like something I don't want to watch? Back to the 300x speed right past it.

There are a lot of sad things going on every day in our world and while I am aware of them I do not dwell on any of them over which I have no control. Sure I see some things that are very sad indeed, some of which I see on this BB, and it also makes me feel sad for those involved in these sad things.

If I was having the issue you mention in "the title" of this thread I would avoid these things as much as possible. Other than that? Maybe you might seek some answers from a professional.

hckynut(john)